1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One wire choke

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Dec 16, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I just dropped an engine in my 79 chevy 1/2 ton. This engine was pulled from an 85 suburban. The carb has a single wire running from the choke, does anyone know where this connects to? I didn't have this on the last carb I had in there. I have a 350sb with a Rochester carb.

Thanks

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That connector is for an electric choke. You old setup probably had either a link running from the carb to a heat-spring on the intake manifold, or a cable running into the cab to pull the choke manually.

To use the electric setup is easy. Find a source for keyed-on 12V and run a wire from it to the connector on the side of the choke housing. It will ground thru the physical mounting to the engine.

What this is doing is using power from the battery to slowly heat a coiled spring inside that pod. The heat makes it straighten out after a few minutes, opening the choke flap.

Good luck!