1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

one ton pickup?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Dec 21, 2000.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

Will this make a good plow truck? Yes or No

1982 GMC 4wd auto 350 3500 High Sierra Dually. Great shape (southern truck - no rust). Dealer said as far as he can tell it doesn't feel like it's even been in 4wd. Does anyone have one out there?

They are asking $5,595.00. What do ya think?
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My friend that is a great plow truck,it will hold a V-box nice and a plow no problem.This is one truck where you might be better off plowing in low range.This truck is a rare find-Ill buy it if you dont want it,the old style solid axle trucks are worth good money if they are clean,and rust free,which is a rarity.The dualsstick out far,so get a9 ft blade.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 12-21-2000 at 05:15 PM]
  3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

You could put a 8.5 to a 9ft plow on that truck or even a v plow. Also put a tranny cooler in the truck. The pre 90's gm trucks are very good trucks.
  4. RB

RB Senior Member

Thanx guys!
  5. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Great truck. It will have a model 60 front axle, huge spicer manual locking hubs (hopefully), TH 400 trans and a NP 205 gear-driven transfer case. Low range is 1.96:1, which is much better to use for plowing than the 2.72:1 most of us use.

The CV joint on the front drive shaft has a grease fitting in the centre of the joint. It requires a special needle adapter for the grease gun, but do not foresake greasing this important joint.
  6. RB

RB Senior Member

thanx Deere John.

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey RB, if you don't want it.. I'll buy it!
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

No,I asked first-LOL I want it RB.
  9. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

Exactly how does a snake eyed used car salesman tell if the truck "feels" like it has never been in 4 wheel drive?