1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

one time customers...contract?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pwrjnky, Oct 27, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

If someone calls you for plowing and they don't want a re-occurring 2" trigger, they just want a single plow........do you still have them sign a contract (for that occurrence) to cover yourself?
  2. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Most of my income last winter was from this type of on demand customer. You can never be to careful. What you can do is provide them a payment receipt that expressively states that a slip and fall free surface in not implied or guaranteed - and that by paying for the service they agree to this by default.

I think most people are reasonable but I shudder at the thought of an ambulance chaser lawyer coming after me looking for blood. I carry a fat huge liability policy even though I run only snow throwers and I'm mainly residential.
  3. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

Yeah....I'd hate to try to get a contract signed by all the "on-demand" customers and most probably wouldn't sign one. the receipt idea is a pretty good idea though.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Look in this hand ,not the other one.
  5. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

Is there a site that you can order receipts with a carbon copy that you can have stuff pre-printed on?
  6. grandview

Your local printer can do it.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Why write a receipt?
    Cash in the pocket sure is nice.
    You report ALL your income for snow removal????
  8. grandview

Everyone here reports all income because we don't want to get in trouble.
  9. motox

motox Junior Member

Could I use a copy of your contract?
  10. grandview

Here's mine.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats just 10 minutes worth of work for you, right???
  12. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Put together a one page "One Time Service Agreement" It's part waiver & part agreement
  13. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

All the bills inside that bundle are $1's.... :laughing:

Sorry GV, couldn't resist!!
  14. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I use a hold harmless form

One time plowing demands this.
    You don't know what the conditions of the road, driveway or lot is if they are covered in snow.
    Here is what I use, if the person won't sign, I don't plow.

Indemnity / Hold Harmless Agreement

This Indemnity / Hold Harmless Agreement is effective as of _____________________, between -(Contractor name) of -(Your address) and -(client name)of -(their address)

For valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is acknowledged and agreed to by the parties, the parties agree as follows:

1. The Client agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Contractor from any claim or liability arising from the following activity: SNOW PLOWING AND SANDING,
    any and all areas surrounding said area to be plowed and sanded.

2. In the event of any claim or asserted liability against the Contractor arising from the above activity, the Contractor agrees to provide the Client with prompt written notice. Upon notice, the Client agrees to defend and hold harmless the Contractor from any loss or liability. In the event the Client fails to indemnify / hold harmless the Contractor for any claim of liability arising from the activity described above, the Contractor has the right to defend or settle such claim on their own behalf and be fully reimbursed by the Client for all costs and expenses of such defense or settlement.

3. No modification of this Agreement will be effective unless it is in writing and is signed by both parties. This Agreement binds and benefits both parties and any successors. This Agreement, including any attachments, is the entire agreement between the parties.
    This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of CT and any disputes will be tried in the appropriate federal or state courts located in New London County, CT.

In witness of this, the undersigned have executed this Agreement as of the day and year first written above.

Name:____________________ _____________________________

Date:_____________________ Date:_______________________

By:______________________ By:________________________
  15. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

THANKS MSSNOWPLOWING i like your one time plowing contract liability made copy and altered to fit my area.
  16. MSsnowplowing

No problem glad you could use it

Glad it could help, I keep 5 copys with me at all times when I'm out plowing just in case along with my notebook to keep track of times arrived at properties and time finished.

Have a good season.
  17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Don't do it

Stay away from call-ins as far as I'm concerned. BY the time you get to them they are generally all packed down to a solid sheet of ice, requires more ice melter than normal, then you got to come back and plow, then a little more ice melter. By the end of all that, they get sticker shock and start crying about the price. Their lack of planning does not constitute your emergency.
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Are you in business to teach lessons, or to make money? Their lack of planning is your opportunity to make some cash. Seize the opportunity.

There shouldn't be any whining about the price if you tell them how much and what you'll do before you start. "I'll push your snow for $60 today, but I won't be able to remove the packed underlayer of snow and ice for you."
  19. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would agree. BEFORE I drop the plow, I have them sign a " 1 time Service Agreement" which has my terms, waiver, etc., & of course the price. Payment is due in full upon completion Thumbs Up
  20. MSsnowplowing

Get payment before dropping the plow

I get payment before my plow drops and it must be in cash or credit card, no checks.

I learned that lession the hard way my first year plowing.

Emergency plow job on a really tricky hill, took me an hour and almost went over -(had to drop the plow to stop sliding, my son still remembers it as he was riding with me)

The lady paid with a check and the check bounced.
    They refused to pay when I went back to their house and told me to get off their property and not bother them again.
    More of a hassle to go after them in small claims for $150 dollars.

So I waited and the following year during a big snowstorm, I plowed in their driveway, at least 10 feet back and 6 feet high, a nice little mound of snow.

The best part, every other plower in town knew what happened and wouldn't go plow them out, they had stiffed others before too.

I drove by two days later and they were still trying to dig out.

Blew my horn and waved at them.

Bounced check $150 dollars
    Told to F off
    Time spent plowing them in about half hour

The look on their faces when they knew it was me: PRICELESS