1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One stage vs two stage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NewLifeLandCare, Dec 12, 2015.

1. NewLifeLandCare

NewLifeLandCare Junior Member

Hi folks,

Trying to see what works best for my scenario and garner some thoughts. I am looking for a snow blower and trying to decide between a one stage vs two stage. The jobs are residential and the blower will be used to clean up after the plow or do the small driveways competely that would be inefficient for the plow. This will be for about 10 clients. Main thing I am concerned about is, will the one stage be enough? I like the idea of picking it up out of the bed versus using ramps. New to the business so apologies for any ignorance.

Thanks,
    John

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'd go with a 2 stage for what you said you'll be doing. Single stage will clean things up but if it's wet heavy/freezing chunks of snow it will struggle. As far as ramps, just buy a basket type rear carrier with ramp gate.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2.....Thumbs Up

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed

5. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

How quickly will you be removing the snow after the plow? If you're doing your route and then going back, I agree with others. However, if you're plowing and immediately blowing then in my opinion the single stage will be faster and work fine.

6. NewLifeLandCare

Thanks guys, I was planning on doing the blowing right after plowing.

7. Brian Young

I guess Im lost here. Are you snow blowing right after YOU plow or after the city trucks go through, I thought you just wanted to open up drive way aprons with a snow blower after the city trucks went through. Either way why would you need to blow the snow if you have a plow (aside from the tiny driveways).

8. NewLifeLandCare

I would be blowing walk ways and using the blower to also tidy up my own plowing. Additionally, doing tiny drive ways with just blower. I would clean up after city trucks with the plow if possible.

9. Brian Young

Then in that case I'd go with a single stage unless these walks get buried by spill off from city trucks.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thumbs Up

"..........

11. RLawnCare

RLawnCare Junior Member

I can tell you that from someone who only does snow with a snowblower. (10 years 60 driveways) single stage is where its at. I have 4 Toro CCR 3000 and 2 Toro Snow Commanders. I do have 2 17 & 22hp 40 & 46 inch hydro snowblowers but those are used for 14'' plus snows. (haven't been started in 2 years) I can still do the job with the Snow Commander but the big ones are faster at this point. and lets face it fun :nod:
    The little single stages are much faster in general. You can whip them around, pick them up, throw wet slush better then any 2 stage (no clogging), own 2 for the price of one single stage, less moving parts, less maintenance.

I average between 4-5 driveways an hour (per person/per truck) including walks and steps with a snowblower.

RLC

12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Single Stage, I have a 4 year old New 2 Stage that was used for one storm.

13. NewLifeLandCare

I heard great things about Toro Snow Commander, think I will go that route. I want to thank you all for chiming in, much appreciated!!