1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

one stage blower for side walk crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Dec 26, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

i want to buy a inexpensive one stage blower for a two man sidewalk crew. i have a 2 stage but in wont fit in a 86 ford station wagon im using this because it is the only car i trust with these teenagers who r gonna work for me. i was thinking a mtd or a sears maybe a toro but they are more$ then i want to fork out. any ideas?
    thanks in advance
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If your going to have teenagers running it. Go with a cheap one and buy 2 because they are going to get broken.

However I don't know if I feel they are safer in an car or an F 550 crew cab. Right now It is school vacation week and colleges have 3 weeks off. So my shovel crews man power just got doubled with the extra people I can hire. My employees like it because the regular shovel guys can take time off, or I can put them somplace else. The next strom we have we will be packing the crew cabs full with 6 guys.

3. columbiaplower

what kind of blower do u use geoff?
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

MTD=Made To Disintegrate

For what it's worth, I tried the low buck approach to single stage blowers. BAD mistake! Geoff has a point about the abuse end of things, but MTD or Crapsman will break down just from looking at them. Bite the bullet and go with a Honda.
  5. columbiaplower

well its not gonna get alot of work its only gonna do like 5 jobs a storm if that. but i have a MTD tractor with a plow (1 problem in 2 1/2 years) and a murry 2 stage blower (3 years no problems) i figure the 2 stage is in the bed of my truck it gets most of the work so i like mtd and its basically gonna get residental type work so y spend honda money>?
  6. GeoffD

I am useing torrow units, for single stage. However I am useing Home Depot 2 stage specials.

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Because as a commercial plower you don't have the option of leaving it until your blower gets fixed. And they only break when you need them. Also, you have to be the only person I know of who has had good luck with MTD.
  8. columbiaplower

acutally alan i do. first of al i can because i have another blower if i have to ill use that and do it myself like i do my other jobs. also they can shovel if it breaks down and i told them that so they would take care of it

Geoff what size homedepot special (hp/ how wide) how much was it?
  9. GeoffD

The biggest one they sell I know it is 33" wide and i think it is 12 hp.

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We use Toro 521 and 522 for the walkways we maintain at nursing homes and condos, they are 5hp and 21" and 22" path. All our guys love them they are light weight and real easy to manuvar. If all your doing is walkways get the smaller ones otherwise you will end up fighting and tugging with the bigger ones. These you can move around with 1 hand!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We use Snapper and Honda units, we have one 2 stroke snaper 1 stage and a honda 5 hp 1 stage. We also have a 13hp Honda, a 7hp snapper and a 5hp snapper. The 2 stroke snapper is real light but not to powerful, I would not go with a 2 stroke, The Snappers and Hondas are pretty reliable but not to cheap. I think Northern has a cheap MTD 1 stage.
  12. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have always Bought the best equipment available when purchasing new equipment. I have 2 toro snow blowers... 8p 2stage and a 4.5 single stage. I love them both but was thinking about just picking up a cheap 4.5 hp mtd single stage as a spare or to have 2 single stages for those nice little 4 inch storms where the 8hp is over kill. I know there not built great but single stage snowblowers are very simple machines... I beleave they have the tecumseh 2stoke engine wich isnt a bad engine... there aint much else to them to go wrong besides the flimsy chutes wich id try to replace iwth a heavyer one... anybody have any opinion on the cheap Mtd single stages? Any owners of one? what problems have you encounterd?
  13. columbiaplower

i have to get a 1 stage because it is the only size that will fit
    im am cocidering that one in northern
  14. columbiaplower

15. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I am new this year and also ask the same question. The honda was the machine of choice by most of the heavy weights out here. I went out and bought one. have only used it a few times in very little snow, but it's good to know it's one of the better machines out there. I don't need any trouble when I'm out there at 3 or 4 in the am. My walk guy also know that if it goes down, their shoveling. This cost me more time to do my route and then takes away from going to p/u some more work. I am also getting a used one off a customer who signed with me this year. Nice to have a few hondas laying around. Good luck with your choice

16. CCLC

CCLC Member

We use Toro single stage blowers most of the time and when the snow gets deeper we pull out the bolens 5hp and the snapper 8hp. The snapper is one great snowblower. I've never had a blower throw snow as far and as quickly.
  17. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I use a toro ccr2500 (finally got the number right!) light and powerful, havent used my simplicity 8/26 2 stage since I bought the toro thanxgiving 97. I will pick up a toro 5/21 2 stage this week from an elderly customer to use as a lightweight backup and for deeper snow, retire the simplicity.
  18. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I use a cheapy Farm & family special 3hp 20"( I believe it's a murray)
    I've never had any problems with it it's used mainly for small driveways where there is no place to push the snow and for walks at a bunch of rental property's that I maintain.
    I also have a Honda single stage.
    Both work just as good but I got the honda for free from a customer that I plow now so it was just sitting in his garage.
    The Honda is huge compared to the murray thou.

19. columbiaplower

i looked at a simplicity 1 stages they look pretty nice
    mtd is much less $Cash$$Money$
  20. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

i am getting in on this one a little late but oh well, i myself have had good luck with old snowblowers, curbshoping specials , get them for free, spend 25 bucks on parts and fix them up i have 4 old "lazy-boy" save your heart 3 hp single stage jobs, about 20-22 yrs old, all start on the first pull, love snow eats 7-8" without bogging and havent let me down in the last 6 yrs