1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One Off's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

So, phone rings
    (it hasn't snowed for a few days, but it's been real windy, most places have gotten some good drifts, you know that nice tight hard to move drifted snow)
    "hi, how much for my driveway"
    Where is it, how big is it, describe it"
    She does, 3 car driveway, it's out a ways (not in town) and it's in the windy area.
    "we've been gone two weeks and we just can't move this snow with shovels" (I bet)
    So, do you want this on a regular basis or just a one time only
    "oh, just this one time"

Probably a $100 (it's probably a $40 driveway on a 4" trigger, just guessing, I haven't seen it, but I know the neighborhood), I'd have to see it, but that's teh range you are looking at.

"ummm, ok, I have to ask my husband" (code for "OMG, that much, honey get a bigger shovel") "can I call you back?"

She won't of course and that's ok too. I don't see the point in busting up my equipment for a one time only thing. You want it one time only, IMO it's going to cost you big bucks.

I feel sorry for the guy who is going to do this for $25 to $45. It's going to take a while and it's going to be a hardpacked mess.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's called a premium. I'll do that with lawn cutting, 1 time is all most double .

Beside it's sounds like one of those "I really don't want it" But if the price is right!
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I say stay clear of it. Chances are you might break something or never get paid. She seems like one of those people that want everything for nothing. I have done a few one-timers before. It's pretty good quick money when out on a route, but I want the money in my hand first. Usually I just open the end of driveways for people. Quick $20 if I'm lucky.
  4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You did the right thing quote high if the say yes than you make good money chances are it will only be just that one time so i say Charge them, and that goes for anybody, i had a neighbor call me when we had an 8" storm and wanted to see how much for her mothers driveway i quoted high (didn't get the job) but didn't loose any sleep over it.
  5. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I like to figure what Id charge for a regular drive and then multiply it by the times I would have plowed it from the start of the season. I think that discourages them from only calling after it gets built up. I hate over working my equipment for people that are too cheap to hire the work done.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I got a call 2 weeks ago at about 1 am 3 days after the storm. The guy tells me that he had a plow guy but he decided that he wanted to charge 100 dollars for the driveway that takes a couple minutes to do. So here he is, the landlord of a 4 unit apartment house with one driveway, 3 days after the storm looking to get plowed so he doesn't get sued for negligence or something. So I told him sure I'll do it, for $90. He tells me thats way to high, and I tell him that he can shop around at 1 am or take it. So he took it. He would have set up a contract, but he wanted me to shovel!:dizzy: lol
  7. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

Same thing around here when plowing during a heavy storm, people flaggin me down-"how much" I know damn well I will never hear from them again, for anything. So you bet your a*s I'm going to charge accordingly, all of a sudden a $35 on a 2" trigger is a $100 drive.I don't care if it's a 1 push drive. Every big storm I get em' and never hear from them again. Pay me b4 I do it, if you would like a contract we can work a deal, if not K.M.A!!!!! I have people callin me and tell me, my neighbor usualley does it but I was wondering how much you charge. I don't even waste the gas on an estimate.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  8. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

A guy called me tonight from last storm, (one timer) said last time my price was too high, but do it for this storm and next. (we had 2 scheduled that week) gave me a check and said if it's more let him know.(Would you think that meant do it every storm?) He calls me and tells me I OWE him $60 since last storm was'nt as bad as predicted. And he said I was to do it every storm from now on, he told me last time. WTF! I don't do plowing without a contract, (except 4 the cash paying one time cust) So, I got his address and I'm going to send him a contract to sign (he does'nt live at the building) curious to see what happens.
  9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't give him back a penny jrush. This guy sounds like trouble. It's not your fault that the storm wasn't as bad as the guessers though that it would be. It's his fault for paying you prior to a storm. These one-timers that kind of turn into an account can be a real pain. Might be easier just to cut and run from it.
  10. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

Ya, it would have been nice since it's the next street over, but he was kinda shady when we first met, obviously that has'nt changed. He even had the nerve to say "I know what your up to" what the hell does that mean? You hired me for 2 storms. When I was there he said I paid the guy last year $600 before the winter to take care of it. Um..ya that's great so long as we don't get alot of snow. What if there's alot and it goes over? Or if it's under, is he gonna want a refund saying there was'nt $600 worth of snow? The damn weather men can't predict the snow this week, let alone me for an entire season.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring: Forget him I'm gonna pass. Thanx for the input.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008