1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One of my trucks was stolen - then recovered

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMR, Nov 12, 2004.

1. JMR

JMR Senior Member

:sleeping: Phone ran at 5:00am, you always wonder who is calling at that hour of the morning. It was the police. They started asking me questions about a 1985 blue suburban with a plow on it. Apparently this is what happened. A patrol car driving by my business noticed the suburban leaving my business lot at 3:30am. He normally patrols this area and knew something was up. He has seen the vehicle parked in the lot over the years and was wondering why it was leaving the lot at 3:30am and it wasn't snowing. He followed the vehicle and another vehicle that was following my suburban. He called for backup, luckily another cruiser was very close by. A short chase occurred with my suburban crashing through a fence gate. The other vehicle was also stopped near by after a short chase. Both drivers arrested and one got a trip to the hospital, the other vehicle was stolen too. Multiple charges filed against both, vehicle theft, hit and run, avoiding arrest, drug charges and a few others. Now one of my rusty but trusty plow trucks has a broken steering column, a broken blade A-frame, and crushed right front fender. By the way, the crooks defeated the CLUB installed on the steering wheel by pulling the steering wheel down so far it broke the tilt mechanism. I have all the column parts to fix already and I ordered a new A-frame this morning. I'll pound the right front fender out the best as possible. I hate to trash or dispose of the truck, it makes more each storm it plows than it is worth, but although rusty is a reliable as can be. I had just finished servicing it 2 days ago and it was already to do some plowing. Well I feel better now that I've vented. :cry: I'd like 10 minutes alone with the A$$holes who stole it. :gunsfiring:
  2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I am glad the caught those screw balls. They were probably going to part out your truck to finish off a batch or make a pill run!! You didn't notice any propane bottles missing did you??
  3. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that...but glad you got your truck back. Police chase? Wow...sort of like the stuff you see on World's Scariest Police Chases! :eek:

If you find those sons-a-bitches that stole your truck I say you beat em like a government mule! :angry:
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If I were you, I'd be adding one or two police officers driveways to my route this year. A donation if you will. Cheers to the Omaha P. D. for being on the ball!
  5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Wow that sucks. :eek: Funny though that they stole one of your trucks and not one of the dealership's trucks right across the street. Well hope your able to get the truck back in working order soon :waving: . Also was the other vehicle one of yours too?
  6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Can you go after them in civil court (or some other form) and ask for lost wages if it happens to snow and you can prove you lost money?
  7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Just goes to show how brainless some theives are, who in their right mind would try to out run a police cruiser in a Burban with a plow on it.

Godd to hear you got everything back.... :drinkup:
  8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Here's a case where my normal liberal views get thrown out the window. I believe thieves should be violently punished. Yes I said violently. Do I believe that these scumbags should be subject to the death penalty? Absolutely. A good old fashion be-heading would quickly reduce the national figures to fractions of what they are now.

Now I realize that there are some people who couldn't fathom taking a man's life for stealing a rusty 85 suburban. Thats not me, but I'm sure we can settle on a middle ground. I say we could amputate a limb of the offending criminal and surgically re-attach them on real victims of limb loss (accident victims). A lesson that is hard learned, but very effective and beneficial to the rest of society.

Sorry for being so blunt, but I have very strong convictions against criminal who victimize others.
  9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Thought it would give JMR a chuckle.

Seriously though, it really sucks to have a peice of equipment stolen from you. Especially when you rely on it for your business. My frineds truck was stolen two years ago. Found the truck the same night, destroyed. Blew a headgasket, tranny would not engage, severe body damage and bent the plow frame. The truck was found hung up on a retaining wall. Luckily he was insured, but he lost all of his contracts and it took almost a year to get payment for the totaled truck.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  10. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Many of you have made some interesting points and had some interesting suggestions. The other vehicle belonged to someone else. I just had a visit from a police department investigator, he has gotten the county attorney to press charges. Apparently due to the age and value of the vehicle and the LEGAL SYSTEMS oversized case load, they would usually not press charges. I don't see any chance of collecting anything from anybody. The crook was a jobless multiple time drug using loser with a record longer than my arm. The only satisfaction I might get is seeing him take a long vacation in a orange jump suit, with a view through barred windows and showering with a guy named Bubba. And I am going to spend $500 and many hours of my time to get my burban out plowing again.
  11. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Wouldn't your auto insurance cover some of the costs? I'd assume that goes under your comprehensive.?.? Or is your deductible higher than the actual repairs?
  12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Although I carry commercial insurance, to keep the cost at a minimum it has a 1K deductible. With the blade the value of the truck is probably only $1500. That truck makes that in $$$ every time it snows, that why I hate to retire it. I could part it out and probably make more, but it is worth more to me as a plow truck. I can let employees drive it a don't need to work about a scratch or dent here and there. It has been tough as nails and has never really let us down. I think I'll spend the $500 and put it back together.
  13. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I'd like to see the punishment fit the crime.. Those guys should be sidewalk shovelers for you and put thier whole paycheck into repairs of the vehicle(s) involved.. Then kick thier asses..
  14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

That really does stink, when repairs are less than your deductible...makes you scratch your head and wonder about insurance. I know you need it, but it seems as if you pay more in insurance than the insurance ever pays out.
  15. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

this is might be involved but find out which prison they go to and offer someone inside a carton of cigarettes to beat the tar out of them. :):)
  16. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

You know what I just happen to know a correctional officer at the county Jail. :rolleyes: :D
  17. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I say we bury em 50 ft. back into a snow bank. :D
  18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Treat the cops to coffee and ask them if this should ever happen again to please drop the suspects by the house for a little talk before they take them to jail.

Besure to get a copy of the police report so you have the address of the crooks.
  19. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

Maybe Bubba will make him....

his Girlfriend (if you know what I mean ) :rolleyes: :eek:

he'll think twice about stealin fer sure !