1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One of My Issues With National Companies

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tjlands, Dec 17, 2010.

1. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

This is more of a "What were you thinking thread", not a bashing
    Not picking on any national company in particular because my company actually
    works for 4 of them.
    As some of us know there was snow in central and south jersey yesterday. I Signed a couple of "Late" contracts as the snow was coming down. Of course this puts me in a great bargaining position, meaning if they want us they have to pay my prices and to a certain extent some of my conditions. (which of course makes it worth it)
    Then before I even finish signing one of them I get a call to service them, 15 minutes before the sites are scheduled to close. Now we all know it will take longer than 15 min to get loaded etc unless of course, we have trucks loaded on every corner. Now why would they do that, maybe they got caught with their pants down? Whatever. Either way it is just piss poor customer service.
    It is Dec 17 not Sept 17th.
    Anyway I signed and dated the contract after midnight and my crews serviced the sites this morning before they opened.
    Just be careful working for the national companies and make sure you are getting paid enough to do a good job. Some of the numbers I have seen thrown around this year are below break even for my company and we run an extremely tight ship.
    The National Companies are not going away anytime soon so maybe we can train them to be more useful to the business instead of working against it
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I grumble and moan about the nationals too, I work for one large regional operation, you do too. My biggest client is facilty services company, I have 0 issues woth these accounts, I service as I see fit, I charge my normal rates and I get paid in the agreed time frame. Subbing can be VERY profitable.......it's like anything else in business, know your costs, run tight and smart, do a superior job and grow. Thats it guys, it's a simple business.
  3. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

well, you won't hear now much about national service providers on here...UNTIL....about february first is my guess...you know, when your first seasonal payment hasn't arrived...you make 16 calls to find out why...they shove you around the office for another 3 weeks...THEN, they tell you...you didn't fill this pay request form in properly, their compliance department doesn't have the proper paper work, insurance forms from you, doesn't matter that you've submitted it 4 times. then all of the sudden, after another month, you've had a slip and fall...and they're deducting 30% off your seasonal contract, even though your insurance provider has paid ALL costs of the slip and faller...but then again, we must not badmouth a SIMA member.
  4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

dayexco i know who your talking about ive benn dealing with the same crap!
  5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Again guys don't work for them. I will gladly take their cash. I have only had one issue with a national and I just won't work for them again.
  6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

The company you are referring to I do not work for. They have tried to hire us, but no.

As far as seasonal payments ALL of my first seasonal payments are due BEFORE
    Dec 1st, No pay no work. Its pretty easy.

Just because they give you their terms doesn't mean you cant give them yours.