1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One more Smart hitch problem!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hitower, Dec 15, 2012.

1. hitower

hitower Junior Member
    from midwest

I've read five pages of Smart hitch problems but none matched up with my problem.
    2001 Chevy Silverado RT3 Vplow.
    Everything on the plow works and all the lights works too.
    My problem is the smarthitch does nothing when I hit the switch, up or down nothing, no clicks nothing.
    I have it in float ,power on the orange wire at the switch. Power on the white wire when I hit raise.
    Float Coil with has magnatism too.
    Would my next step be to have my wife hit raise then check for power at the white/black wire at the sloenoid??
    Any help would be appreciated as I can hook it up manually but would like to use the Smart hitch feature!

2. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

I notice sometimes mine dont work either, all I do and it seems to work is back up a bit and drive into it again and make sure the plow moves. seems to work for me!!!!!

3. hitower

hitower Junior Member
    from midwest

nrplowgut,
    Mine has never worked since I got this truck this spring, I did just change the plow side wiring harness and double checked all my wiring hook ups.
    One thing I noticed, the old harness has a white/black wire coming out of the harness by itself that is factory installed.The new harness doesn't have that wire.
    Did I get the wrong plow side harness from the dealer or did boss update the harness and put that wire inside?

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Try jumpering or testing for power at the switch (mount switch) to see if the switch is bad.

Wiggle your power wires and triple check your ground - that's why the other person drives back into his plow to get it to work, poor ground.

5. elecblu

elecblu Member

sounds like a bad toggle switch on the plow

6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Bad switch or bad diode on the little harness for the toggle