1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ONE more question regarding plow selection

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPS Alberta, Nov 30, 2010.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

So boss, western, and fisher say that i need the 6000lb axle (i only have the 5600lb axle)... meyer, swo-way, blizzard say that their plows will work fine on my truck.

All these plows weigh approx the same so what is the issue? Why will some say they work and other brands wont? Should I just get a boss anyways? Ive heard not to get ameyer, snoway, or blizzard.
  2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

what kind of truck and what size plow are you looking at?
  3. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

8-8.5 ft on my '08F350 with 6.4 diesel.

apparently they account for the weight of 4 passengers each weighing 250 lbs and all these plows weight approx the same so i dont see why some say they will work and others say they wont.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

one word....liability
  5. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Should I go with a meyer or snoway that say they are fine or go with a boss even though it says its not fine (they all weigh the same pretty much)

Im also looking to throw on the X-springs. Apparently that is the only thing from factory that raised the gawr to 6000lb from 5600ll
  6. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

This may not be the politically correct answer but.... I would put what ever plow I wanted on it (within reason). If the weights are close I wouldn't worry about it, like someone else said it is these companies liability that dictate the weights. At one time years ago I had a western 8'6' pro plow on a 93' 3/4 ton ford and the western dealer said they could not install it because of the liability. If I had to do it again I probably would but it was to much for the truck.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

dealer service and support is more important then brand
  8. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Thanks Brian!

Hydro, I have definitely heard that on this forum. Problem is, it seems like everyone around here that is selling plows is unreliable!
  9. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

My Sub Plows with an 03 F250 Crew Short Bed with a Boss 8'2 V, and it hardly sags with the plow up, maybe 2 inches. He runs about 800 lbs of ballast. He was told the same thing but after seeing the setup in action, I wouldn't hesitate to run it at all.
  10. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Plow springs are a must on a ford...esp with the diesel.
  11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Just upgrade to 6k rated coil springs and put on whatever you'd like.
  12. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

I finally found out what I need. For anyone else who has a ford f-350 with an axle not meeting the 6000lb limit, the problem is not your axle...it is the fact that the front GAWR is rated for the weakest component which, in this case, are the stock springs. Replacing with the X-springs (which were given in the snowplow prep package) brings that axle rating up to 6000lbs. Obviously this wont change the legal limit from factory that is on the door, but TECHNICALLY you will be up to spec with the x-springs. You also need the fan clutch.