1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One More Clearance Lamp Question--Punching the Holes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ron G, Dec 8, 2007.

1. I bought the lamps, the wiring harness, and the special nuts that hold the lamps in place from my local Ford dealer this week. I also bought a Greenlee slugbuster knockout punch set for 1/2" conduit, that Greenlee says will make a .89" hole (just a shade bigger than the 7/8" (.875) hole required). Maybe there are a couple of electricians here that have used these punch sets for making holes in unpunched electrical boxes or someone else that has used them. Is this the right tool for the job ??? Greenlee says that this punch can handle 10 gauge or 3.5 millimeter steel. 3.5 mm is awfully thick--it's about 1/8 inch. I don't think that the sheet metal on my 2003 F-250 is even near 1/8 inch thick.

So, will this punch do the job, or should I have gotten a 7/8" radio chassis Greenlee punch ????

2. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

shouldn't have a problem.... greenlee makes awesome tools
  3. Lou Braun

Lou Braun Junior Member

The Greenlee punch will easily handle any sheet metal on your F-250. The punch hole size might be too large though. I would try punching that size hole in a scrap piece of metal to make sure that you are satisfied with the larger hole.

If clearance permits, a step drill does a decent job in drilling larger holes in sheet metal and may be easier than the punch.

Lou Braun
  4. Hole Size

The connector on the lamp is exactly 3/4" across. A 7/8" or .875 hole will allow 1/16" clearance on either side of the connector. The Greenlee 1/2" conduit punch will make a hole that is .89". That is only 15 thousandths of an inch wider than the 7/8" hole. I don't think that 15 thousandths will make much of a difference.