1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One mile of sidewalks. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by New Leaf LLC, Oct 14, 2009.

1. New Leaf LLC

New Leaf LLC Junior Member

I'm new to this site but not new to the industry. However my experience is all behind the wheel of a truck and now I have a job that requires that we also clean almost a mile of 5' wide sidewalks with a 1' trigger. So my question is what would you do? Hire several guys with shovels, buy a snow blower for one of our mowers for 3K, buy a walk behind blower, or a used 4x4 ATV with a blade for 3k-4k?

In some ares we can remove the snow to the road and then come along with a truck. But in other areas it will all be removed to one side of the walk on the lawn, potentially adding up to a couple feet of snow by the end of the season. Can a ATV with a blade handle that or do I need a blower to throw it farther away? Any help, ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Is the site a condo ? Do you also plow the street ?
    With a one foot trigger you'll need bigger than an ATV.
    I'd use an enclosed machine with a blower. JMO

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

1' trigger? That's a little odd isn't it?

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Hopefully he meant one INCH trigger... I'd starve at one foot.

You can get by with a blade on an atv or an out front 4wd mower. before the windrow piles up to high, move over to half on the lawn and roll it some more to create clearance... just be sure to raise the blade a few inches or you'll be replcing sod and irrigation heads.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

something tells me he meant 1" trigger ?.....if I'm right, then a ATV would be fast on lighter snows, but on the bigger ones you may need a small tractor or blowers? With a 1 inch trigger though, you would be able to keep it under control really easy with the ATV....you could have 1 mile of 5ft walk cleared in no time.

6. homerpete

homerpete Member
    from Iowa

I wonder if he meant 1" by chance.

7. New Leaf LLC

I'm sorry I meant 1" trigger. The site is an HOA where I will also plow the roads and driveways. Most snow falls here are less then 4" but every year or two will have one or dump a foot or more in a day.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

if you have that many feet of sidewalk I would assume the account to be decent size and pay relatively well. I think Some type of small tractor/mower with a cab enclosur and a front mounted blower would be ideal. You could also hook up a real small spreader to the back if salting those walks in any areas was also needed. It might cost you a couple thousand to buy a good used set up but I think in the long run it will be more than worth it.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would go with smaller skidsteer with snowblower on it, that way no matter what happens you can handle it.

Has to be 1" trigger!

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

This exact question was asked last year.
    I just did a search on "mile sidewalk" there is tons of threads on this with many alternatives.

What would I do?

Drive on by cuz I don't do walks. ussmileyflag

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the atv is alright, if it is in the budget although i find atvs dont do the greatest jobs on walkways, a larger sweeper might be a more preferable option too. also don't be afraid to do it by hand, it may seem intimadating at the time, you well find, the costs are cheap (lots of people looking for part and full time jobs) and a mile isn't that far to do using a 40inch push shovel. just my $0.02

12. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

why not look into a rhino or one of the john deere utv's for something like this? I started out doing entire commercial parking lots with a 99 honda foreman 450 under a cab enclosure that i built and used a cycle country 60" blade with a swisher spreader on the back....it was quite a setup for sidewalks....a lil short in the britches for entire parking lots....but ive still got every customer that i started with :)

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Get off your butt and go walk that stuff out man!

How long did it take for a casual walk? Multiply by how ever many passes with a BASIC blower would take then multiply by a decent hourly rate and you have your number. Come up with a tier pricing and send in the contract.

14. New Leaf LLC

I'm sure that there are hundreds of threads out there on it but if I decided to go with the atv with a blade how many inches of snow are they able to handle. Granted it will change depending on if its a wet snow or powder.but on average what will it push

15. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I plowed some long sidewalks with a six wheeler Polaris 500. It worked okay until the sides built up and the town plows rolled the street snow on some of the walks. We just ended taking the skidsteer down them. It worked fine that way. Just use the regular bucket so you arent too wide and rip the grass.

16. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

I use a polaris ranger nice heated cab, radio,strobes and,a boss plow made for it. best investment besides the truck i have made

17. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

cost you dang near as much as a truck too, lol. but a very capable rig nonetheless

18. F350plowing

i already had the ranger for hunting just had get the plow and the strobes

19. F350plowing

looking in to a spreader for the back so then its a all in one machine

20. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

DO NOT waste your money on a worksaver brand spreader. cycle country makes a very nice one