1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One man shows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MidcoastMainiac, Nov 27, 2010.

1. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

For you guys that are one man shows offering plowing sanding, and sidewalk clearing, do you try to carry all your equipment on your truck or 2 trucks?

On my truck-plow-sander-single stage snowblower-shovels-snow scoop-2 stroke fuel for snow blower-fuel for sander-tow strap

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

That sounds like that's alot to do for one man especially if you have a couple decent properties with alot of walk and surface area to plow. Might want to throw a ad on craigslist and see if you can get a kid to do the shoveling would make your life easier.

3. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I employ my nephews to handle the shoveling and sidewalk salting. They are happy with $10 an hr. When it is snowing to the point of plowing here they don't have school the next day typically so it is a win win for all of us.

4. Grumpydave

Grumpydave Member

Because most of my plowing is summer/2nd homes I don't shovel or snowblow during the storm. Have a smaller truck with shovels and a snowblower that my son and I will take out after the storm or the next day.

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Employ a ridealong like mentioned above. For $10/hr it would be worth the money and time saved.

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

1-Truck,plow,sander,ice melt,shovels,21" snow blower, 8 comercials,10 diveways and shovelboy......

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Truck,plow,salter,and me+ tons of tools,spare parts,etc.Just do plowing and salting.I'll leave the shovellng and blowing to you younger guys.

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

YA forgot the tools and parts...... loader too

9. Division

Division Member

Each of our trucks has a plow salter blower shovel and salt.... one man per truck 8-10 commercials and a few resi's they always get er done!

10. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Looking to hire a shovelboy/girl to ride along.

11. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Pick-up plow/ new holland boomer 34 loader and blower / 42" blower mounted on a walk-behind 21" pup, a couple shovels and once in a while someone else to run the shovel. Don't carry sand, do carry a 1/2 dozen bags of melter most of the time. I service about 100 household including my HOA's.

12. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I thought about the ride along before, but you need workmans comp, what would happen if you get into an auto accident and they are injured.

All my shovelers must have their own transportation and equipment, which is what makes them a sub and not an employee.

13. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

all of our trucks haul a vbox with hooks and such on the back to secure a snowblower and walk behind salt spreader. 150+ small retail, offices, and banks and counting!!

14. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

iwas thinking of a shovel Girl too,,,,,, at least i whould have somthing to look at riding along!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

15. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

When I subbed doing mostly commercials I only had 2 out of a dozen or so properties that i did any walks. On bigger storms I have had a friend or my brother-in-law ride along and help do the walks. Actually I let a buddy run the plow on a wide open lot one night while I shoveled awhile. I needed to get out of the truck awhile and get the blood flowing. Even though they didn't expect much if anything and just rode around 90% of the time I gave them at least 10 bucks an hour cash if not more for the whole time they were with me and bought them food, coffee, whatever when we stopped. It was well worth it to me to have some company to BS with and keep me awake during a long storm. After a while the harmony of metal scraping blacktop and me singing to the radio can get old. :laughing:

16. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

A shovel girl????.....;)......best advice I've ever heard.........

17. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Yeah, I would definately get someone and just pay them $10 per hr.

18. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

I absolutely agree. I've had to rethink my strategy. I've always done the snow removal/plowing/shoveling alone. You know though I've gotten older and tired.:laughing:

So, starting a couple seasons ago starting getting people to help.

C.

19. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

I do exactly the same thing. The individual must drive to me, bring there own gloves, shovel and follow to each site. If they ride along they have to have there own equipment. I usually will only request help from that individual a couple times a season.

C.

20. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

We have a shoveler in our 3 trucks and they all have hitch mounted spreader. No snowblowers because there isn't much shoveling anywhere.