1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

one man plow removal tips needed

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Jan 23, 2013.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    How do you guys who run central hydraulics lower the ram and unhook the plow chain when your by yourself ? Right now I am carrying a cheapy small floor jack to jack the plow frame up enough to slacken the chain so I can get the plow off by myself. Tried a 50lb bag of calium on the ram but it's not enough to lower the ram. Maybe use a bungee to hold the stick back while I undo cahin?
    TIA,
    Steve

2. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Can you put slack in the chain so the ram will settle an inch or so when the plow is down and you can lift the chain off? I have never thought about it before, my ram always sags a bit when the plow is on the ground - or blocks so it's easy to unhook the chain. Maybe it's because it's an old setup...?

3. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

On my old truck I just put the plow in float and then pushed the ram down by hand to slacken the chain. Won't the stick stay down in float by itself?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I presume you have a float position on your valve?

Use your foot and push in on the chain about halfway between the ends. Gives you plenty of leverage.

5. xtreem3d

I don't believe I have float, even I thought it should in order to float along the surface...this is an older setup (1982) but I will double check it today. I will also check into slackening the chain enough to unhook it and still be able to raise the plow high enough,
    Steve

6. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Sometimes you have to engage some sort of stop to keep it down in float position. It's kind of hard to plow without a float position and I've never seen a truck plow without one. What plow do you have?

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming float isn't an option and optimizing chain length won't work, why not bring a couple blocks of wood instead of a jack? Raise plow, place blocks, lower plow.

8. xtreem3d

If I lower the plow on blocks it will be just like on pavement..I need to be able to push ram down by myself.

The plow itself is a 10ft western that I mated to the central Hyd's on an old Illinois DOT truck from 1982

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1539356#post1539356 post 9318

9. theholycow

[​IMG] You're right, that was a dumb idea on my part.

Instead of a hydraulic jack, get a spare tire scissor jack with hex drive from a car at the junkyard. Mount it to the push frame. Carry a cordless drill with a square drive adapter and a 3/4" socket. My drill easily lifts a car all the way up in a few seconds...

10. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I'm still having a hard time with it not having a float postion. How do you get the plow to follow the contours of the pavement...you have to hold the stick down the whole time? If it's just a matter of not being able to push the ram down, maybe you could just wrap a ratchet strap around the top of the hoist and use that to leverage it down?

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You guys make things wayyyyyyyy to hard.

Get a heavy black rubber bungy cord.

Stretch it between the A-frame and chain hook.

Then go push your lever into the lower/float position and the cord will pull down the lift arm and ram.

If you have too much length on the cord, tie a knot or two in it until it stretches.

I have to do this on my truck.

12. White Gardens

Yes, you have to hold the lever down.

Meyer and fisher used to make a return spring for the old speed caster plows to pull the lift arm down faster when you put it in the float or down position. It was similar to a storm door spring.

Might want to look around and try to find one.

If not, you could fashion one with something like this. Just a storm door spring. Might have to hook two spring assemblies together to get the travel you need.

[​IMG]

13. theholycow

I was going to post that yesterday but then I went back to review and saw this:
    Even if that rubber strap can do the job, I wouldn't want to be the one stretching it with that much force, in the slippery icy cold, waiting for it to break or slip and snap back in my face...and if he's considering it for the stick, he's probably considered it for the lift arm.

I was thinking of chaining it to a tree or something when I got another idea: How about a 10 foot chain? Hook it to the lift arm and put the other end under your front tire. Drive forward onto the chain and along the chain while holding the down control.

14. White Gardens

It doesn't take much to pull it down. I do it all the time with no ill effects.

In my truck, if the fluid is warm enough, i can just hold the stick forward and the lift ram will slowly collapse on itself. Might take about 20 seconds, but it will do it.

15. theholycow

There are definitely differences from one rig to the next. My E47 I'd just set in float mode and push down by hand, not much pressure was required but if I didn't push then it wouldn't slowly collapse on itself. If a 50 pound bag of ballast doesn't do the job then he's dealing with something different.

16. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Perhaps a small bungee to hold the control in the down position while you push on the chain?

17. Ford.crazy

Ford.crazy Junior Member

I was just thinking this while reading the post. A small bungee, the kind they use to hold CB mics to the roof with. Any truck stop shold have them.

18. White Gardens

It takes a lot of force to hold the central hydraulic valve lever in position. You would need a rubber strap and then it would still be iffy.

It's not like the old speedcaster valves where it's pretty easy to hold in position.

I have a feeling if the OP did this when he put his bag of calcium on the ram, he didn't have lever engaged fully.

Another option would be to hang a bucket of sand on the lift arm, then go hold the lever.

19. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

Could you just run your front tires up on some 2x4s(maybe something bigger) let plow down, then back off the 2x4s. That should pull it down, or find some uneven pavement and do the same.

20. xtreem3d

That is correct...this is a stiff lever to pull back and push forward