1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One Lovely Screwed Forecast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Barberry Hill, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

We were predicted to receive "up to an inch" then possibly changing to rain. Well it snowed all day at a good clip and ended up with 6+ inches. A clipper turned Nor'easter. Last Thursday
    I kept looking at this blob on the radar in the mid country combined with a fast moving clipper and thought that is ripe
    Sure enough peenies from heaven.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's why I have multiple site on the internet. No one seems to be right on the forcast in the winter. It's just too hard to forcast what it's going to do. I put the plow on when it's ankle deep. I have seen too many randon flurries turn in to 4 inches of snow and 6+ inches turn into NOTHING!
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And our predicted 6" turned into 1/2":( .
  4. HayBay

HayBay Junior Member
    from Ontario

What a job. They get paid to be wrong most of the time. Between the Weather Network, Acuweather and Cable Pulse 24 with Harold Hussein (saddam we call him), I dont know who to believe anymore.

I love the billboards saying " If the weather coditions change in your area call us, The Weather Network". Lol.

Anyways thats my rant about Forcasts.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If you notice my signature, it says I'll beleive it when I see it. That's what I live by. Hell, any of us can get paid to be weather forecasters and be wrong all the time, can't we.?:D :dizzy:
  6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm predicting a 50% chance of plowable snow this week for everyone :D

Just like the "weather guess'rs" :eek:
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

worked out for me 9" inches in fairfield county ct
  8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

About 8 here in Nova Scotia. Supposed to be another on Wed.in the NE.
  9. classicman

classicman Member

Weatherman hosed us in Central Pa too

You can tell just by looking at the lots who believed the weatherman around here. I didn't, went out early, hit my route... I was the only one around out so was feeling a little stupid at the time. The follow up "dusting" we were supposed to get yesterday morning turned into a 6 hour event with sleet, freezing rain, then back to snow. I hit em all again, but with no underlying snow, mine are all clear to pavement- 99% of my competitors/colleagues are not, and the Siberian Express remains hovered over us. So, my opinion, hit 'em early and often...sometimes the weatherman is dead on- sometimes, dead wrong- 'bout as predictable as the weather, and the only thing I really want to rely on in the conditions we work in is me.
  10. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

well there you have it

There is little we can depend on besides death and taxes, and death by taxes, and taxes at the time of death.
    the weather...well wait a minute and we will see.
  11. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Re: Weatherman hosed us in Central Pa too

I hear ya! We were 80% done with one of our bigger accounts when that second "flurry" hit. Unfortuneately, that account is a department store plaza with lots of traffic...so even though we had the main parking area spotless earlier on...that parking area ended up a big mess at their 10pm closeing time (after the temps dropped and stuff froze).
  12. ebonang

ebonang Junior Member

Weathermen. What a job! If I was wrong about the decisions I made at work as many times as the weathermen are I would be in Federal Prison.
  13. classicman

classicman Member

to 440trk and anyone else that wants a laugh

I gotta guy that owns a Day Care Center. I got the "account" this year because he called my broker (I'm a Realtor) to see who was doing his lot (not me), and our lot is right next door. I was out two nights ago same time as MIke, (Trk440)... we were probably the only ones operating at least from what I saw. Anyway, had the daycare guy clean as a broke di*k dog by midnight, then we got the "flurry" yesterday, so I plowed (and shoveled) him again yesterday afternoon, got him clean again. Meanwhile, the guy that plows my Real Estate office listens to the weatherman, plows yesterday only, and leaves the lot like a skating rink. My day care guy bit*hes at me for not doing it the way his old guy used to, which is to plow him approx 1 hr before opening time no matter what. Now one thing you need to know is that I charged him for 1 push.

I almost laughed in his face. Instead, I told him "to come here a second". I dragged his butt outside (wind-chill what, Mike, 'bout 10 below?) I said "There's what you'd be looking at if I did it your way--- pointed to my RE office skating rink right next door which he is/was apparently too stupid/blind to see when he came to work this am... and here's you--- pure pavement. I said, I really don't wish to be a co-defendant in the lawsuit when someone dusts off, so to be honest with you, I don't care if I'm doing it for free or not, I'm doing it my way. You see, last week he whined because I didn't call him prior to plowing (3am- EVERYBODY got plowed), so this storm I called him at 11:30 PM and woke his butt up to ask permission... y a a ... g o a h e a d a n d d o i t click.
    He was bent outta shape 'cause I woke him up! bottom line, Mike, ya wanna new account?:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  14. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Yep...Windchill sucked, Temps plummeted to low to mid-teens, and any unplowed lots became a BIG ice covered headaches.

Nope...don't want that account.... :p LOL. He wants you to plow an hour prior to opening?!?! What a :jester:

Sometimes it's GOOD to be the sub. :D