1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One inch.... What do You do ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by On a Call, Jan 25, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

okay you catch one inch of snow do you pre salt or post salt and skip plowing ?

2. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

It depends on the trigger for plowing ( 1" or 2" etc) we have some places 1" is the trigger and others 3" is it so it kind of just depends on the contract.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Drop the blades if it's going to be cold enough to stick around, I don't salt

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

What time of day is it, what's the temperature, what are the expectations of the account, what condition is the pavement in, is it windy, have we been working a lot this week, is the snow wet or dry, is there residual salt on the parking lot from the previous snow, is it going to be sunny today, is the parking lot mostly in the shade, how much traffic is there, how much salt do you have, are you paying an arm and a leg for salt this year.

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

We are catching a inch now, it is going to get colder tonight 25 now 12 tonight 23 tomorrow .

Most account like clean and wet

I did some presalting last night and pavement is mostly wet

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like Ty27 said, depends on triggers and weather. If its going to be very cold I would plow then salt, if theres no snow coming for a day or so and the temps are going to be in the mid-high 20's or warmer I would probably just salt.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Do whats outlined in the contract and the scope of work layed out in that contract....Pretty Simple....:nod:

8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

An inch, I'll plow it every time. Just salt will create a period of slush and slop...and that stuff drives me nuts. If it's sunny and high 20s, plowing alone will probably be enough.

9. Defcon 5

If that's what the customer is paying for and expects....Than whats the question???

10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

That is the question

Salt the lot heavy and walk or plow, salt, and walk

I hate plowing when I can just salt

But....as said I hate slush too

11. Defcon 5

What does the contract state??....What is the Scope of Work??...What are you getting payed for??

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I get paid for whatever I do

My call pretty much

13. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

If it's your call then, I would plow and salt to make more $$ if they want it down to bare pavement and you won't get chewed out for it, then go ahead and plow

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

What he said

15. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Why thank Ya xtreem3d!

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

If you have an inch and you salt and it results in slush and slop, you aren't applying enough.

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Our accounts are all seasonal, so for what it's worth, we generally scrape an inch and then salt lighter. The salt savings are worth it, especially last year and this year.

Yep.

18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

shovel and salt the sidewalks and salt the lots

19. daveslawns

daveslawns Member
    from Niagara

I second this motion

20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

This is what we do. If we can push it, it will be plowed before salt is put down.