1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One good thing about this winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Mar 5, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seasonal pricing will be going up payup

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

lost to much money this year? :rolleyes: I think I made more pushing back piles lol

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'm hoping finally more people will want to go seasonal. I've noticed quite a few lots that in December were getting salted for 1/2" but weren't even touched the last 2 storms, and they're seasonal accounts. I guess some of these guys figured out "easy money" is hard work on years like this one. I'll be paying these accounts a visit this off season.

4. grandview

No money lost here. Just all this snow will make people want snowplowing service next year so,now all new customers will pay a higher rate and this season customers with see a bump in their price too,

5. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

New truck time :D

6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Man, I love your way of thinking :) Thumbs Up

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Shoot some of my seasonal customers have caps, win win

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

How do you lose money
    You need to change business all seasonals have to have limits
    Amount of plows
    Amount of salt
    If you keep crashing cars won't your insurance drop you
    If you never use your insurance doesn't it still go up
    See win win
    How can you own a business work your ass off and loose money
    I hate to say it but you would be better off as a sub then
    I do 95% all over their contracts limits a month ago there is no chance in hell of me working and loosing money
    Even better I do 13 driveways I charge $1000 for walk and drive sub it out to a guy for $350 a house for season his price he chose they went over and I keep the overages
    Sorry charging more next year doesn't mean you made money this year
    I have a lot of respect for you guys who really plow as my area we get crazy over 6 inches but some prices it may not be worth plowing after repairs and the shorten life of equipment and time away from family this is a business you need to make money I can lose money sitting home watching tv

9. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

easy the way bird does ... Makes it and puts it right back into the equipment. :laughing:

10. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

$350 vs. $1000....if he weren't subbing and just outbid you, wouldn't we be calling him a low baller?

$350 in ALBANY is a small driveway, so this guy doesn't seem like he knows how to bid.

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Would I call him a low baller idk
    I know that if u add up all the time putting in before a storm during a storm and then after his much money are you making
    We plow around 10 storms and most 2 plows a storm so 20 plows what are u making at $350
    I just call myself a better salesman
    We do commerical work and sell quality not price
    But point is learn your trait and don't worry about other people's price make what you want and if you do take the responsibility of a job never should you lose money working and make sure you are making enough so that it's worth the time and risk involved

12. grandview

you talking about me?

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

In general just saying
    Not at anyone
    I don't know much about u or your biz

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I am not saying I know anything...just enough to get in trouble.

And if I had your money I would not need mine.

15. grandview

Most of your expenses are fixed.
    truck payment
    insurance
    phone
    and all that other back office stuff.

Only real big unknown is gas.For us it was a bonus winter because gas was half of what is was in the beginning of the season.With the early and big snow totals they filled the lots up faster and now we done plowing the routes in half the time. I hate when they want the piles pushed back,that means more time spent plowing. I can take all my seasonal money add it up and subtract all my winter expenses before the first flake falls,again other then fuel. I know how much will be left.

16. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Only if you are solo
    Time isn't plenty of prep work
    Plenty of post plow work
    Again this was a great year
    All true business men made money
    Ones who lost money need to find a new line of business

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

"All seasonals need to have a cap"

What the hell is the point of a seasonal contract if it has a cap on it? That's a lose lose for the customer. No matter what the weather does they're going to lose. Less snow than usual, they're still paying full price. More snow than usual, they pay full price plus extra charges.

I don't get it. Even with the winter we had last winter, being over double our average we didn't lose money on a single seasonal. Snow plowing is a fairly high margin industry compared to mowing and other maintenance. You'd have to go WAY WAY over on service amounts to lose money if you know your averages and all your costs.

18. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Kind of what I was thinking! I do all my lots per push. I feel that is the fairest way to fly for both client and my business. I, like you, did notgetthe seasonal cap thing. One sided if you ask me!

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yes in favor of the business man

20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

just hope the "businessman" you are selling a capped seasonal to doesn't realize that he is getting screwed. seasonal with caps make no sense to me. do you give your customer money back at the end of the season if it snows only a little bit?

If I was a customer and was offered a seasonal with a cap i'd immediately think the plow outfit doesn't know how to run their business. they want to have their cake and eat it too.