1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

one for the CHEVY GODS!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jcesar, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

ok. see if you can figure this out.
    95 chevy 2500.
    350 TBI
    intermittent problem
    when you have the truck running, and tap the brake pedal, or go into reverse, just enough to light the rear light assembly up, it will stall out.
    Sometimes, it is fine, others, it will quit running, and then start really hard.
    I have done the following:
    unplug the main harness, next to the firewall, for the rear light wiring. Runs fine.
    unhook the wiring, from the lights themselves, runs fine. plug any of it back in, and it will stall, when you hit the brakes.
    Bear in mind, that when it does this, and I unhook the lights somehow, it will run like ****!
    Any takers on this????
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

might be something in the brain or throttle position sensor !
  3. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Check under the hood for the main ground straps. Sounds like the body is not grounded to the frame. Your tail lights and fuel pump should share a common ground point on the drivers side of the frame. If the cab is not grounded to the frame the fuel pump cuts out when you hit the brakes or the reverse lights light up. I know this sounds weird but try it.

Here is a quick way to check. Hook one end of a jumper cable the a clean spot on the frame and the other end on a good grounding spot on the body. (bolts on the firewall using are good.) Make sure your clamps are on well and that they are making good connection. Now see if it continues to act up. If its fine after that, then you know what the problem is. Bad grounds cause lots of weird problems and can be a royal pain in the a$$.

Let me know if that fixes it.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% agree, sounds like a ground problem. Doesn't sound like a short if it's not blowing any fuses or unplugging the lights at the rear fixes it.

The FP and taillights both share a ground path on the frame (and they should be the only two things that do). Add a temp ground between the engine (or batt) and the frame as a test.
  5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

appreciate the help guys.
    I will try the ground today, and let you know how it goes.
  6. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Thank you to all who responded. It was in fact a broken ground.
    The main ground strap from the engine to the frame, was corroded in two pieces.
    Replaced that, and all is well again.

Thank god, as the weather guessers are calling for 10 to 20 inches total, between now and tomorrow evening.
    Will need all three trucks running for that one, I am sure!
  7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

No problem, anytime. Glad to hear it worked out for you.