1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One foot or two feet plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 28, 2005.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just seeing what everybody else does, I always drive with two feet same with plowing seems like a lot of trouble moving your right foot back and forth.
  2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I use both on for clutch other for brake and gas
  3. Kevin003

Kevin003 Junior Member

I thought this was gonna be one of those what do you plow with? auto or manual
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you plow with an auto do you use 1foot or 2 feet .:)
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I use both. I'm always ready to slam them on if I have to.
  6. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

one foot normally but if i have been going for a long time and my knee hurts i do 2 but i try not to
  7. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Almost always with 1 foot. When I was younger we went to a science museum where they had a setup to see your reaction time going 1 ft verses 2 ft. The one foot method was actually quicker.

8. makplow

makplow Senior Member

When I took my driving test years ago. If you used your left foot for the brake the inspectr would fail you, because if you had to stop quick your right foot could be still accellorating the fuel.
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I think they still fail people for that in Illinois.

Honestly, I don't think I could drive an auto with 2 feet just feels too awkward. But I do know after about 16 hrs of plowing my right leg does get sore.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I always drive with two feet, ever since I started drag racing I use two feet exclusivly. It just feels natural now.
  11. wddodge

wddodge Member

Plowing two footed is probably the biggest reasons for auto trans failures when plowing. You have to be sure your right foot is completely off the gas before shifting to D or R. It only takes just a few rpms to make the trans realy clunk into gear. Do that for a few hours and a transmission shop will have their next boat payment covered

12. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I use two feet. Had to use 1 foot for drivers ed and road test. My first vehicle was a 1953 willy's cj3a i got used to driving with 2 feet with the clutch and never changed.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Since I'm attached to both of them, I plow with 2 feet. :D

I only use one on the pedals though.
  14. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

two feet, better contorl
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Reading the title I was thinking plow feet- thinking "why on earth would you use only one foot on the blade...?''

Depends, most of the time 1 foot, as normal but sometimes 2 feet in the auto (always 2 feet in the standard, but you knew that already).

If the truck starts acting up (doesn;t like to idle sometimes) I 'll 2 foot it, or if I'm semi-stuck sometimes 2 feet give me poor man's traction control, but that's unusual.
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Always one foot, and in Illinois they will fail you for using two feet......:confused:
  17. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I use two feet plowing w/ auto. I always watch the tach. and let truck idle down before shifting. My other non-plow truck is stick and I have no problem going back and forth. The driver's license inspector doesn't ride shotgun when I'm plowing!:rolleyes:
  18. The Cowboy

The Cowboy Junior Member

I think you are correct. I tried both ways this winter, and it was actually faster and safer using 1 foot. I don't drive stick yet, but I save the other foot for that just in case. My coordination is bad using 2 feet with an auto. I was still on the gas when i hit the brakes sometimes.
  19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

One thing I hate is a driver that uses two feet and triggers the break light over and over while just pulling his foot up on the gas the left foot is slightly pressing on the brake.

I want to smash in his or hers rear bumper! lol

Just kidding, but I do like to swear at them...
  20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

One foot here. But I should really try the two foot thing, I'm tired of my right leg feeling like it weighs a ton after plowing all night. I'm just learning how to walk and chew gum though,lol.