1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One customer decided he's tax exempt

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JeffNY, Feb 23, 2010.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I started charging sales tax to the customer, and everyone paid, no questions, except one. Sent the check in without the tax, never called or anything, he calls himself a 'Reverend'. The property is his house.
    Im just not sure how this works, do I need some sort of tax exempt form for him to fill out?
  2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep he must fill a form I think its a t-3 form ? business name tax ID number and all that good stuff

being his house he stands no chance unless he have it setup as a place of worship

good luck
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Some churches have a house set up as a parsonage, so it could very well be tax exempt.

Yes, get a tax exempt form from him if you don't believe him, or just file $xx.xx as tax exempt.

We do it all the time with churches, schools, etc.
  4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

So I dont NEED the form filled out by him?
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get it to cover yourself.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you need the form. ST-3 in NJ
  7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i dealt with this a few years ago, in OHIO if the house is owned by the church it is exempt if it is owned by him he pays tax.
  8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

In the state of ct. He must pay sales tax. If doesn't want to pay he must fill out a ct sale tax exempt form and provide a 501C or 503C depending on there set up(tax exempt fed forms) if not he pay's the tax. What it comes down to in ct is you are responsible to collect all due sales tax so if he does not pay you will for him for all services provided.
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

You guy's have sales tax on services in your states? Ouch, big government is bad.
  10. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Sales tax on service? Probably the next thing Michigan is going to do to get a lil more money
  11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

In Ontario they still pay, they just get it back from the government.
  12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's mandatory in Ohio for plowing and salting services. Been this way for about the past 5 or 6 years. I don't remeber when it took effect.
  13. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i think its been at least 10 maybe longer
  14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

''The property is his house''.Unless he uses his house as part of a continuation of the church where he's hired AND fills out the Religious Exemption certificate once a year,he has to pay you the correct sales tax for your jurisdiction.I get the very strong feeling he's trying to evade paying the tax as his guise as a reverend.I get this once in a while--DON'T let him get away with it because if you don't collect the tax from him if he doesn't give you the form you will be liable for all the tax if you should get audited.
  15. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

That the democratic way!!! The saying used to be" tax and spend". now its spend and tax!! Pretty soon will see a 2nd civil war if they keep this up:laughing:
  16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Of course--this is NY.How else would our big shot politicians such as Eliot Spitzer be able to afford $5K an hour prostitutes and for all the other wasteful spending our state does, especially when it comes to NYC?Oh--no sales tax on prostitution,but that's only because it's still illegal.:laughing:
  17. plowbum

plowbum Junior Member

He should have a tax exempt form to supply to you, tell him you need a copy. I request a copy with churches and state run non profit organizations for my records and taxes. If they are legit there should be no problem for them providing it.
  18. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

here is one form http://www.osc.state.ny.us/agencies/ac946.pdf

You will need to keep a copy of this with your records/ acounting info. If he really is tax exempt he will have this form and have him make you a copy. Dont forget to check the address and name. If your bills/invoices are in his name and the tax exempt form is in the name of a church or non profit you'll have a problem. If he cannot produce the form he has to pay taxes: http://www.chemistry.buffalo.edu/documents/RFtaxExemptForm.pdf
  19. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

hey plowzilla who would we fight? the fat lazy politicians or the fat lazy freeloaders? I think what we (all hard working self reliant americans) will eventually do is refuse to pay the taxes. what are they gonna do when all their power is gone because we quit giving it to them? vote republican and demand smaller government!!!!
  20. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

why the hell is a preacher tax free? does his reading from a bible help society more than my landscaping? don't get me started our gov't is so quickly turning its back on the founders beliefs that made this the greatest most prosperous nation in the history of the world. It makes me sad to know my kids will never be able to reap the benefits of their hard work. Already today over 1/2 of your earnings are taken away from you and "spread around"