1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

One button 1st/reverse... New Idea= new thread

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by show-n-go, Nov 19, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The thread on what gear can i plow in and the other one about push button F/R got me thinking.

So i went and had a long chat with my resident tranny guru.
    On Ford or Chevy he said this could be done but Dodges would take alot more work.

Here's what he came up with.

One switch on the dash of the truck to activate on/off
    dimmer switch on floor or button on the wheel or where ever you want.

The switch on the dash would turn on this system which can shift your truck from 1st gear to reverse with the click of your foot or thumb, when your done you can just put the truck in park and it will be the same when you start it. It would be all electronic and very simple to use. Installation would require dropping the trans pan to change a solinoid.

I read both of the other threads about this and it got me thinking, even if i don't care to plow in OD or D how nice would it be to not have to shift all night, just use my left foot. And for those of you that only want to plow in 1st this would be perfect. The transmission shops won't like it but I'm suprised none of them have done this before.

So if he can make this work as perfect as he thinks he can, would you buy it? whats it worth? I am donating my truck for the "test" vehicle to make sure it works before he gets to far along, he said he needed one to play with for a week or two.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Ive thought about this in length. My hangup is the column shifter. You have to pull it towards you to unlock it to move.

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

beer really is brain food, the more you drink the smarter you get. What will prevent you from accidently hitting the button as you are cruising down the highway at 30 mph

4. stroker79

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

with this system you would put your shifter in D or OD and not move it again untill your ready to park.

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You would have to hit 2 things to make that a problem, I guess we could use an aircraft switch.

No matter what we add you can't fix the human factor.

7. stroker79

The only way to do that would be to unhook the linkage on the transmission. The trans will not shift into rev with the column shifter still hooked up.

And to answer your orginal question of weather I would be interested in this product? sure. But unless you eiminate the column shifter all together, it wont work.

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

hm.... I'll talk to my guy again. he said he can modify the solinoid and do it without moving the shifter.

I'll find out today.

9. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I'll take one.

10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I just talked to him.

He said all you would have to do is put the column shifter into drive then activate this system, after that you shift from F to R using only the one touch button. Then when your done turn this system off and your truck is back to normal. The linkage and column shifter have nothing to do with it.

He could even add a safety to it so that the trans will not shift unless the truck is at a stop, so that would also save the tranny from slamming gears for the careless drivers.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be interested in giving one a shot, if it's reasonably priced.

Which trannies on the Fords? Just the TS?

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I only had him look into the 3/4 and bigger but from talking to him i think it will work on any for or chevy. Dodge was the only one he would need to do more research on to make it work since there's is set up way different.

13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Thats the other thing i need to know. what do you guy's feel is a reasonable price? He keeps asking me that. I said i thought around $300-500 depending on how the final product looks/works. He wants to know that so he can see if it can be built for the price range that people will pay. It could be one of those things that cost more to make than the value.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'd give it a try for that amount.

Really would have a hard time placing a value on it until I tried it. I know I love the F\R lever in my Toolcat and JCB.

In fact, if I plow for a long time in either, then get in a truck, I am usually moving the turn signal lever trying to get my truck to go from forward to reverse or vice versa. :laughing:

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'm giving him my truck next Wednesday so he can get it figured out. I'll keep you guy's posted on how it works and if it will work in that price range.

16. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

I don't understand why the manual transmission keeps getting more and more rare? Has practicality taken a back seat to laziness in our work trucks?

17. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I can't believe how many people i run into that can not even drive a manual. My dad wouldn't let me drive untill i could drive a manual.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Completely off topic.

Saying we should all go back to manual shift transmissions would be right along the lines of saying we should go back to straight blades with manual angle. Better yet, no angle. plow to the right only. Chain fall to lift the blade. No vees. No powerplows. No wings, no end plates, no backdrag edges, no sno-foils or rubber flaps on top. Nothing but plain simple straight blades. Sure, they were reliable, but not very productive.

I think an auto trans in a plow truck is the epitome of practicality.....

I would be interested in the product.....

19. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

My last truck was a manual and I have a bad shoulder from football. After a night of plowing, I could barely lift my arm because my shoulder hurt so bad. Don't get me wrong, I learned to plow with a manual and enjoyed it but automatic is sooo much easier.

20. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

Same here, maybe thats why I'm so byist against autos?

While I agree this would be a good product to have in an auto a manual makes it obsolete. Aside from being able to shift to and from reverse with ease there are numerous advantages to a manual. Durability, longevity, less wear on your motor, more precise control exct...

some one pointed out earlier that its hard to shift from 1st to 2nd when pushing a load and I can see the old timers not having the body for that kind of abuse but I think the pros out weigh the cons