1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? on ultra mount frame install on dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by EGLC, Oct 23, 2010.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

OK so I drilled the back horizontal holes for the mounts through my frame for my 2003 dodge 2500.

My question is, western says I need two seperate bolts, one on each side of the frame. It looks like its going to be a complete PITA to get two nuts inside my boxed frame. Can I just run one long maybe 6" bolt right through and put a set of washers + locking washers on each outer side of frame???

- Jared

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All that does is pinch the frame thus not allow the correct bolt torque to be applied or maintained. Poor idea.

Sounds like this is a used mount install and you don't have the correct bolts with the handles welded to them to allow you to snake the fasteners in from the front opening in the frame rail, otherwise you wouldn't be concerned about getting nuts inside the rails. Because no nuts go inside, the bolts do and that's why the correct fasteners include the welded on handles to do so. If you have access to a welder it's not a big deal to make your own bolts with handles though. A few pieces of narrow strap steel and a few tack welds and you're ready to go.

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

How would you tighten down the bolts? Put a locking washer inside the frame and standard washer on outside and go at it with an impact?

4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Use Nylocks nuts with the handle welded on to them and run them tight with an impact. Make sure you dont over heat the nut and melt the locking material. Use a Mig or stick welder to make the handles not a torch. If you want to use regular nuts use a lock washer and some blue or red lock tight on them.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the handles are done correctly they're enough to hold it until the nuts are tight.

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

ok, thanks for info!

thanx man you've been a great help!

7. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

I used some butyl mastic from my pole barn siding to hold the nuts in the box wrench while doing this. Once I figured out to put plenty of the mastic on the outside of the nut away from the frame rail it worked real well. Yeah, I dropped it a few times but a magnet picked it right back up. It was a 'I'll try this first' cause I had a little helper and did not want to drag out the welder with her there. I put the washers on the same way also.
    Chad

8. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

On my 04 I used grade 8 bolts going all the way through. Now, aside from the bolt possibly coming lose, what bad things could happen by not using the 3 seperate bolts in back? I mean from my lamen point of view, all the pressue is pressed backwards on the frame, not side to side, so the strength should still be there, or not????

Used mount install. I could make the bolts and all. Just bringing up conversation.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very poor idea. Kinda like trying to C-clamp a cardboard box. With the bolts all the way through a hollow box (the frame) there's nothing for the bolts to tighten down against thus they simply squeeze the frame with no backup behind it, not to mention they're never really tight nor will stay that way. Forget the fact that the supports on the mount push/pull on the bolts and will eventually oblong the holes.

Do it right.

10. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i will, i just gotta get it pulled into the shop.

11. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

My god!!! What a pain! But I made myself proud, all the bolts are in right, and I also got the wings installed on my blade. I hate drilling holes, I hate it, with all that is holy, I hate drilling and all that. Ill mount and balance four tires before I drill one 3/4 inch hole. So b&b, I did it right.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've had to repair a few of these from guys being lazy and not doing it correctly and it's not pretty. Sure it's a pain to do it right but now you know the mount will stay put and not damage the frame thus creating a bigger problem later. Congrats [​IMG]

13. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Have Ýou ever dealt with anyone that welded the mounts instead of bolting them? Because, honestly, at 6am, it crossed my mind. But I always end up doing the right thing. I try to be a lazyass,but I can't do it

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure have, and there's a few select labels for them for which I won't mention. :D

15. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

hmm. what is the aftermath of the weld on method? curious minds want to know!!

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing but big mess once it's time to remove or transfer it. Careful cutting, grinding and final finishing to try to restore the truck frame back to it's original condition, not to mention the same on the mount if it's intended to be reused and IF it's still reusable once it's removed. Saving the truck frame is obviously #1 priority.

Any time I do an estimate on a plow transfer or I'll be installing a used mount supplied by the owner I ALWAYS check to be sure it was properly installed before I give the price. Some are just far too lazy/uneducated/cheap whatever to risk me eating the amount of extra time it requires to correctly "undo" one of their so called installs.