1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

??? on straight salt nontreated

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by a&j lawncare ll, Oct 2, 2009.

1. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

Does straight salt work in very cold temps like under +25 f..how will does it work for coating just before the storm.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How well does the search function in plowsite work in October?

Asked and answered maybe 6 million times.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i usually go with the 20 degree rule....if it's going to get (or is) below 20F i'll go ahead and pre wet the salt. anything above 20 and i'll go with just straight salt....

4. Jay brown

don't be afraid to ask questions. that's what the fourm is for....

5. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

thanks..i did search and didnt find much..

6. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

how do u pre wet it..

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you can get away with just straight salt, that is what the primary choice around here is. You will find that if its cold and dry not much will happen until the sun comes out and provides the liquid catalyst needed for melting. you also need to apply more salt the colder it is to get the same results. temp and moisture content will determine the speed at which the salt works.

I generally only pretreat if an ice storm is expected. spreading salt on dry pavement is wasteful, it scatters and bounces too far, but to prevent the ice from bonding with the pavement pretreating will help.

obviously liquids can make your tool box way more effective: prewetting reduces scatter, lowers coldness effective temp, and straight liquid application before storms reduce icing and can burn off minor accumulations.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I have good luck with salt down to about 10*.

9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

You know, if everyone used the search function, then there wouldn't be an excuse for you to make comments. I'm sure every single question or comment has been asked or stated at some point on this site. Opinions, equipment, members and techniques change. I would rather post a question and get fresh responses rather than rely on old or outdated information.
    Sorry for the rant!

10. Mark Oomkes

Hugs and kisses to you too.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have good luck with pretreating. It seems to help keep the snow from sticking to the asphalt, and it doesn't take much post plow salt to finish the job.

Ideal situation is when you can pretreat in the afternoon, let the daily traffic grind up the salt and spread it around. Overnight snow. The snow blankets over the salt so it can work and keep everything wet. Plow it up in the morning and everything is wet.

Of course you might get lucky and have one storm a year that actually goes this way.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Its OK you don't answer the same questions continuously but whatever makes your life easier.

13. Jay brown

pre wetting is when you spray the salt as it comes off the chain or down on the spinner..

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We do some pretreating with rock salt, have had good luck with it

I like your idea about letting it get drove on.... we always wait till after every one leaves i'll try it

15. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Im going to bust your bubble on this one.... Im assuming your talking about the Air Temp..

I'll be the first one to tell you.... in the winter i really dont give a damn what the air temp is....

..... The air temp 98% of the time has nothing to do with the amount of salt, that we use or anything to do with my snow service.

16. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

well said brad.

17. Mark Oomkes

Will you be my BFF too?

18. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Aw another friendship.... Brought to you by MJD and the Crew :D

19. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:confused: No it wasn't! Guess what, snow always gets plowed and ice melters are always applied and they have been in the same manner for a very long time. The same old information in those old posts is just going to be reiterated back to you.

Check with the packaging company, manufacturer, or distributer of the product you are using such as...

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/road_sidewalk/safe_t_salt.html

Which says "down to 5deg".

20. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

OK...another stupid question that I'm too lazy to search (I'm heading the smart remarks off at the pass) what's the cheapest way to pre-treat, and how did you get started??