1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

On spot chains

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Mikemike0409, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Mikemike0409

Mikemike0409 Junior Member

I would for a township plowing and salting. We run chains on all are big trucks but with my truck up next to get replaced I was wondering how on spot chains would work instead of chains over the tires.
  2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

The problem that I've heard a lot about with on spot chains is that you have to be moving for them to work. If you stop then the chains will not be able to grip and become useless. I haven't been able to use them myself but I have several friends that have them on their big rigs for cross country travel that love them but they still carry traditional chains in case they get stuck.
  3. Mikemike0409

Mikemike0409 Junior Member

Yeah I'm just thinking most times I take the the tire chains off so I don't wear them out but I have never used on spot chains so I don't know if they will work the same or not.
  4. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I hear as long as you are going at least 5-10 when you turn them on they are pretty much the same.
  5. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

School districts up here started making the swap to onspot's over the last few years. Different application, typically it's to help a bus get up a hill that it's already able to make some headway on... Haven't really heard any complaints. I've looked under some rigs and they do eat up some ground clearance.
  6. dcarr

dcarr Member
    from ct

we run them on our fire apparatus and ambulance. they are great but as stated you need to be moving for them to work. they are also only designed for up to i believe 6" snow. on the ambulance they are pulled off in the spring because of the ground clearance. the only real problem i have had, and i havent used reg chains so i dont know if its the same, is that trying to slowly creep down an icy slope the chains dont spin under the tires. you really need to move a couple miles an hour to keep the chains spun under the tires.
  7. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

As stated earlier, they are recommended for up to 6" or so of snow. Personally I don't see any need for chains over that much snow as long as you have enough weight. They work great in the ice, even at slow speeds. If you need the chains to get unstuck, just engage the chains then slowly spin the tires to sling the chain under the tire. There is a rubber wheel, to which multiple short lengths of chain are attached, that rides along the inner wall of the tire, the spinning tire thus spins the rubber wheel, throwing the chains under the tire.

Biggest issue is maintenance, grease them VERY frequently, and a can of FF goes along way to keep everything functioning.
  8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

We use them on our trucks, as well as all our fire trucks have them. Your right about the six inches but, if you have six inches your gonna be plowing it, so that's not an issue. They work great. A big advantage to them is they are there when you need them. Flip a switch and they drop down into position, flip it again and they raise up to the store position and are ready for when you need them again. Unlike regular chains that you have to stop to put on and take off. I have seen people running around with regular chains on when they shouldn't have had them on, because they didn't want to stop and take them off, but then you chance destroying the tires.
  9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

School buses use them around here for the hilly roadd
  10. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Some of the school busses here have them to, but whoever built the busses has no clue on how they should work.
  11. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

i have them on f550 works good must of the time expect when snow is rolling back in front of tire before chain gets there it stops the chain from getting to the tire. town i sweep for has them dislike them steep hills. but added a couple links to each chain they now get under both tires now they love now. they on 4900 int. with 22.5 tires
  12. LON

LON Senior Member

If you want the best Rud Roto-Grip classic version is the way to go. You can view them here - http://rudchain.com/
    They hit the center of the tire so they work in both forward and reverse. I would do 18-strand to have more chain under the tire and they work at a lower speed than the others. Ohio Twp at Mt Nebo I believe has some of the classic versions on their bigger trucks.