1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

on site container storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Oct 26, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

im looking into on site storage options for tools, salt bags and skid steers.

ive found plenty of the steel shipping containers in 20 and 40' lengths, id only need a 20. but the problem is that even the 20's are near 5,000lbs, hauling them is ok, the trailer can handle it, but i dont think my rc100 will lift it off b/c of all the weight way forward on the forks.

i know there are the lighter duty containers like the dry van trailers behind semi's, but i cant think of the correct term to search for them. ive seen them used on yards for storage. they are a steel/aluminum skeleton with fiberglass or some type of poly material for the walls. what are they called and where can i find them? found plenty of these on craigslist:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I wonder if you couldn't pull it off the trailer with some kind of roller under it ( metal pipe? )

3. VIPHGM

VIPHGM Senior Member

if your going to fill it with bulk salt go with the heavier duty container because if not the sides will want to flex and bow under that weight, and just pay to have it delivered by a truck designed to haul them... i bet you can get someone to do it at cheap hourly rate... sometimes it makes life easier to pay someone to do the misc jobs

4. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Yeah what that guy said!!!

i cant belive they weight 5,000 pounds though, that doesnt sound right.

Just put some 4" cast iron pipe under it and push it onto the trailer and off the trailer.

5. PTSolutions

i was working that scenario out in my head, i know id be able to lift the ends of the unit up and get pipes underneath then roll it off or drive the trailer out from under it, but then getting it back on again in the off season would be another pain.

i wonder if i strap it to the back rest of the pallet forks along with some c channel extensions i could make, then just pick it up enough to be able to drive the trailer away, then set it down. it would be nice if they came with those heavy steel rollers like roll offs have.

i was hoping more in the 2-3k lbs. range.
    heres where i got the info from:

http://www.westcoastcontainers.net/

i wont keep bulk in it, maybe in the off season, just like a pallet with some bags, shovels, snow blower and the asv, that way i wont tarp it.

6. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

ive got an idea!!

have a fab shop weld up a little car dolly type gizmo that locks onto one end of the box and you only have to pick up one and and move it around.

7. VIPHGM

VIPHGM Senior Member

just take 2 skids at each end and pick it up together and sit down then push it into its place...

8. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Even a rollback wrecker could winch it up on a steel bed. Maybe just wet the rollback down with water. They work pretty cheap in my area. I had a rollback wench my 8000lbs skid on last season and tow it 20 miles to the shop. Charged me $75.00. Well worth the time and my money. Just have to make sure it is a steel bed. Aluminum will get scared up by container.

9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

call a wrecker service. Bet you can get it moved for around 100.00. How much did you buy the container for?

10. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The RC100 should be able to lift it. Take a couple of ratchet straps from the other side of the container over the top and secure them to the fork assembly. I have attached a rough diagram of what I am describing. Make sure that you have plenty of people around to help guide you as you are more or less driving blind.

container lift.jpg

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

how often are you thinking of moving this beast? i like the idea of fabbing some wheels on it, if it were me i would put 4 wheels on jacks, and jack then down when needed, then use the skidsteer or a winch to pull it on or off the trailer

12. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

+1 on the towing company.

We have a 20' we keep on site, generally a local towing company will come pick it up and move it onto the location with their heavy-duty slide back or landoll. I'm not sure of the cost though.

13. PTSolutions

i havent bought one yet, was looking for the lighter van style units before i get a steel unit.

it would probably be moved 2-3 times per year, once to put it on site in Nov. then take it offsite in april, and from there just moved around the yard maybe.

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I was just curious of how much these things run. did they tell you how much?

16. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I was looking at them on eBay last night. 20' was going anywhere from $1400 to $2200 and the 40' was between $1700 to $2800. Though they were on eBay, most of them had external links to some national company.