1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? On sag

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikelawtown, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 2002 2500 chev and it drops alot with my 8 foot fisher. Does timbrens help or should i just crank the t-bars up..I dont plow alot and was thinking about just turning the t-bars up..How many turns is the normal ?..also what do i need exactly for this and do i do it on jack stands or with the 4 wheels on the ground..sorry about the dumb ?'s but this truck is new 2 me...

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on which bars your truck has and how much it does drop with the plow on, you can just try turning the bars up first. Go about three full turns and see how it holds the weight. Make sure you keep track of how many turns you add to them so you can return it to stock height at a later date if you ever want too. To adjust the bars, raise the front wheels off the ground and using an 18mm socket on the adjuster bolts, give them three turns one each side (make sure you turn them both the same amount. The bolts are located under the torsion bar cross member and will be pointing straight down toward the ground. The torsion bar cross member is located between the frame rails near the rear of the front door. Make sure to spray some penetrating fluid on the threads before you attempt to turn the bolts as they can twist off in the torsion key.

3. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

I found a good tech article complete with pictures, etc. on www.offroad-tech.com it gives complete directions on how to crank the t-bars as well as part numbers for the different keys for the bars, t-bar load rates etc. the article is called GM Torsion bar 401. Hope this helps.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's a good write up with lot's of info Waterboss...but where it says that it's "ok" to use a two jaw gear puller as a substitute for the correct unloader tool is WRONG! NEVER EVER use a two jaw type gear puller to unload the torsion keys on a GM truck! The reinforcement ears on the cross member are not designed to support the kind of stress the puller will put on them! Don't want anybody gettin' hurt.

5. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I just looked under there and saw the bolts and they arent even.are they the same from factory...?...It does sag alot so i guess the arent tight but just wanted to ask before i do tighten.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's normal..they're adjusted from the factory to set the truck level side to side and the adjustment bolts may end up in a different position side to side because of it. How many threads are left on the bolts before they're screwed in the whole way??

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  7. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

dodge tech links

waterboss
    do you have any links for dodge info

8. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

Sorry, no links to Dodge info. I had come across that one when I was installing my new to me Boss 8' super duty on my GMC D-Max.

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The bolt heads won't necessarily line up. What you might want to do is use a sharpee to mark the part of the bolt head thats facing directly to the outside of the truck...this makes it easier to turn them full rotations and keep your truck level.

Each full turn of the bolt heads equates to about 1/4" of front end unloaded ride height increase. I raised my 2000 2500 by three turns when I put my 8' Fisher on there...I might go another 2-3 turns this year though...there is plenty of thread left on my bolts.