1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? on pull plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Oct 11, 2009.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

with all the talk about pull plows, I just had a quick question. With the pull plows that have down pressure, like the snowman plow pictured below, what happens in a situation where the driveway pitches downwards toward the street, and the transition to street starts pitching up, creating a valley where the apron ends and street begins, how does the plow move up and down as the truck goes from driveway to street? I plow several driveways where this situation is common and pretty substantial, If i would stop my truck with my front wheels on the street and rears on the drive, i would have 3' or more clearance under my truck.

[​IMG]

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I always have my finger on the switch adjusting the plow up or down if I am in a situation like that. If you apply enough down pressure you wont have a problem.

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i would just be worried about busting a hose or something like that, b/c as the truck goes down the incline the blade will want to raise up b/c of the grade and with the d.p. applied i was just wondering how that whole situation works.

4. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

a friend of mine has a rear plow that he installed some kind of pressure relief valve from them to help with this situation. Sorry I don't have more to add, I have not actually seen it yet.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I keep the controller in my hand and toggle it up and down as needed. A little tricky at first but you learn quickly.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've never had a problem with my Daniels, and most drives do what your talking about. The rear suspension travels and the pull plow jacks the truck. Hard to explain but I've never toggled anything, it just follows grade.

7. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

is thair a a float button?

8. WIPensFan

No, your just driving forward with the front tires and riding the pull plow in the back.

9. TremblaySNOW

you mean that the rear tires are of the ground?:laughing:tymusic

10. WIPensFan

It's close!

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If you do a search there is a "how to" thread to make any rear plow have float.

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Dont need to make it float. Yes you put enough pressure on the blade to slightly lift the rear of the truck. With some pressure they will follow the contour change without having to do anything, step changes might require that you bump the switch. Units run 5000 psi hoses so if hoses are in good shape theres little chance on will break. Power units also have a built in pressure relief vavle and will open if the weight is more than the unit could handle.

Had several trucks with backblades and if we had to do a rear tire change we would throw some blocks under the blade and pick the rear of the truck up, no jack required.

13. TremblaySNOW

Does anyone have any pics/manufactures?
    How does it mount to the back of the truck?tymusic

14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

My snowman would actually get stuck down in the situation you are discribing. I always have my thumb on the toggle and try to remember to work it. Its only on certain drives that it does it but it does it almost every time. THe plow will start to trip and then get stuck. I have to back up an inch or so to take some of the pressure off so I can lift it back up. I guess Im lucky I haven't ripped the hitch off my truck or snapped the plow off like some have on this site.

15. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Maybe I miss read your post but a valley is less of a problem becuase your rear truck springs should change the height. Not as much of a problem as the drive being higher than the street. Thats when I have a problem.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Same thing will happen with my Snowman. You just have to remember to toggle the switch when you're in those positions and you won't have any trouble.