1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? On patching blade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by caz41, Jan 12, 2014.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I picked up a used rig today, truck is in top notch shape, but the blade not so much. There are several holes in it approx 2-4" in size. I plan to MIG some sheet metal in to patch them. Should I put the patch piece on the front or the back of the blade to weld it on?

2. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Front is fine, never had a problem doing that

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Would a piece of poly/plastic glued and screwed to the front of the blade be a better idea

4. caz41

caz41 Member

Never done anything like that before. What kind of glue is used to stick it to the metal?

5. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

I rebuilt a plow last season with a rotted moldboard. I reskined the whole front of the plow. Worked perfectly. Get a piece of sheet metal and have at it.

6. Pool&Plow

Pool&Plow Junior Member

I had the same problem with a 9' fisher I was rigging up for my skid steer. I bought a 10'x4' piece of UHMV plastic 3/16" thick, cut it to fit, and used pan head self tapping screws to fasten it to the old steel moldboard. It works really good and snow never sticks to it.

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure what to tell you. Maybe garilla?

I've just seen people running around like that

8. 1978K20

1978K20 Junior Member

Re-skin

I replaced the bottom of my blade with new metal. From bottom, up about 6", the entire width of the blade. Butt welded. Sand blasted, painted, and put on a polly sheet. Works great.

9. boatmehcanic

boatmehcanic Junior Member
    from Iowa

Where did buy the sheet of plastic?

10. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Any pics? And I second the question of where did you get the UHMV plastic sheet from?