1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

On/Off Or Variable Speed Control On Fisher Spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BASIC, Dec 9, 2003.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi,I need to buy a Fisher tailgate spreader,either a 1000 or a Speed-Caster 2.What controls would you suggest,On/Off or the variable speed control?Thanks,BASIC.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have the Speedcaster2. I have the variable speed control. It is a must have.

3. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Member

I agree with CHRIS K. I also have a
    speed-caster 2. Variable control is a must . It will pay for it self with the amount of salt you save

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. If you are billing for salt by the pound or ton, how can you make money and pay for a spreader by decreasing the amount of salt that you use?

5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I don't bill that way. I bill a flat rate per application. I give the customer a price for worst case and if I can put down less I will. Either way they pay the same amount.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I understand that concept. You guys in the northeast with a ton of snow every year, year after year seem to be able to get away with that type of billing, however in central Ohio I only have a couple of accts that will go that way. The rest want to pay as they go. Unfortunately, when in Rome you have to do as the Romans do, if you know what I mean.

7. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I have Myers Spreader with a variable speed control.

It's nice being able to adjust the speed, because it allows you to increase or decrease your coverage area.

If you're plowing a driveway you don't want to sling salt halfway across their lawn, on the other hand if you're plowing a parking lot you want to cover as much area as possible.

The Myers can cover areas from 3 ft to 30ft depending on the speed setting. It's probably about the same for other brands.

The Myers also has a Blast control, you just set the speed and push Blast, and it salts as long as you hold the spring loaded switch down. It's a rocker type switch, one side is Blast and the other locks into position, so it salts until you turn it off manually.

Blast is nice for hitting spots on the fly, or touching up hard to get to areas. It conserves salt too, if that's a concern.