1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

on-off-on-off unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shott8283, Dec 7, 2008.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

first year plowing with my own truck,, but have plowerd for a few years for work...

my own truck ive been removing and installing my unimount on my dodge based on need to help save wear and tear on my dodge halfton..

my question is if anyone has come up with a custom dolly system to help aid in the process of putting on your unimounts..

so far - i welded 3/4 inch rod onto some swivel casters and put them in the holes where the snow shoes/skids go....(since i dont use the skids/shoes) they work well but im working on the back section..

my plow is 10 years used before i got it.. so the stand has been long gone.. i know i can get another one but was wondering if anyone custom fabed some kind of undercarriage for the back section (A frame area)

essentially i keep my plow in the garage and ultimatly would like to keep it mobile...for two reasons 1: so i can rearange it incase i need to do to work in my small 25/25 garge.. 2: i think it would be way easier to be able to pull the truck in and just push the plow up to the truck instead of getting in and out of the truck 100 times trying to aim the frame to the plow

any input would be great!

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

my buddy uses basically the same idea, for his a frame, he made a little cart with 4 of those swivels and put one of those little 2 ton jacks you get for $25 at the parts store on it. that way he can tweak the height easy, and its so easy to move, my 5 year old nephew can push it around.

3. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

dont bother buying a stand. i have the stand and even using it on flat ground it still doesnt line up.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

floor jack

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I use my pallet jack or forklift to move mine around. When I take them off I put a block of wood under them so I can fit the floor jack under it to hook up to the truck. The original Uni-Mount jacks were crap and they wouldn't stay in place so I removed them.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I used two "bread rack carts" from a grocery store. I welded them together and use a screw/scissor type spare tire jack to adjust the height. Works very nice, I can hook up almost as quickly as an Ultra mount.

8. panhead9

panhead9 Member
    from NY

I just keep an old floor jack under the plow when its off the truck and this seems to work the best to get the plow on. old unimounts are not drive on drive off user freindly setups, but the jack works the best.

9. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

I bought 2 creepers on clearance at Harbor Freight tools ($3 each) and put one under the blade and one at the end of the frame. Good for balance and good for movement.