1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? on lowballers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SteveR, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Im not going to ***** about getting beat out by a lowballer but, want a little advise...What do you guys do when the new guy cant handle the lot and they call you? Do you bail them out or do you demand they contract the remainder of the season with you or just FU and laugh..

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Ideally you get a long term signed contract.

Realistically if you can handle the work load you take it and do it well hoping to get some loyalty.

3. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i won't touch the lot unless the prop owner tells me they're fired...i make a call to contractor that has been doing it to verify, and then, it's done at my price, and they're put on the tail end of our route priority wise.

4. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

A little more of the story I have had the lot for close to 8 years now and no increase for the last 3 and got beat by a guy 35 miles away..I dont see how he can do well so I want to be ready.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i used to be the type of guy that would help someone out, if the contractor phones me and needs help, i well help them. But if it is the property management that phones, they either pay time and a half, or they sign a contract. 2 years ago we bailed out 3 condos, last year they went with the same guy again!!!

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't demand, but at least require them to let you finish the season if speaking to the property manager/owner. Then...

If it's a contractor asking you, then there will be many things to consider.

It's possible for a company to service a property 35 miles away from their main office.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Some of my lots are about that distance, but I always stay in the area when snow is coming, or if there is a possibility. Don't complete count him out for that, but I will admit it does take more planning, time, and coodination of resources.

8. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

If the contractor that low balled the job calls you, tell him to piss off. If the owner of the site calls, its a good time to make some bucks. Its also a good time to win the contract back. Up your hourly rate when cleaning the other contractors mess. Make note on your bill, I told you so. Then turn around and make it more cost effective to keep you for the season. Its a good time to wright a 2-3 year agreement with the owner.

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

A> was this a past account, or an account that you had really wanted to get and bid on.

if no, you never did work or bid work ....then yes i help for a fee...its not a cheap one, and its cash

if yes - i may helkp for like double my normal rate...just figure he will end up raising his prices... before i start with him, i would call the property manager...just say hey...i wanted to let you know im on your lot as a sub, your current contractor couldnt handel the situation and asked for help. i want to be sure you guys are taken care of. but for the record you might want to reconsider your choice in contractors, as i amy not be able to bail him out next time.

10. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I only bail out my buddies. If the place calls, you need half up front, the other apon completed. Or, just get other work and tell them you don't have time