1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? on GM power tow mirrors.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by skidsteerloader, Jan 11, 2005.

1. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader Junior Member

I have an 04, mirrors are off an 05. Had the reflash done to get extend to work. My prob is - If I tap and release the switch to extend, the passenger side continues to travel till the cycle is complete. The driver side requires me to hold the switch down until travel is completed. If I start off with both mirrors in the same position, and hold the switch down, I have no probs, if I release the switch and then go to "equal out" the driver side, the pass side motor continues to run till I release the switch. ( dont want to strip the clutches ) Is this normal or has anyone just tried tapping their switch with the same results? I like being able to extend the driver side just a little, and would like the pass side to do the same. Is there a way to get the mirrors in sync, like manually extending one, then power extending the other? Also could there have been a problem with the reflash? ( dont think so ) Sorry for the long post, any info or suggestions are appreciated.

2. CHPL

CHPL Member

On my 04 the mirrors only move in sync you can not adjust one independantly of the other. It is possible that when it was programed only one module was programed in the left door and the right side module was not programed. I will look it up tomorrow at work.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  3. skidsteerloader

Someone over at The Diesel Place said that it sounds like my pass. mirror is acting like its a power fold, makes sense, I'll have to return to the dealer, maybe the tech didnt enter for the correct option when doing the reflash. Still open to any other thoughts.

4. CHPL

CHPL Member

Heres what you need to have done

Some customers/dealers have inquired about the new power folding, electrochromic, outside rear view mirrors ( RPO DL3 ), and if they can switch to the new power extending outside camper style mirrors (RPO DPF). The answer is yes, however, dealer must also reprogram both the driver’s door module and the passenger door module to accommodate this change. Also, if the vehicle has redundant steering wheel controls, the DIC ( Driver Information Center-Curb view assist message) must be deleted by reprogramming the truck body control module (TCBM).

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Question ???

On my '04 GMC I do not have the power extending mirrors, just the normal power/heated mirrors, is it possible for me to upgrade to the power extending mirrors?? If so what do I need??

6. skidsteerloader

Thanks CHPL your probably right, I bet my passenger side isnt programmed correctly, but its weird since I didnt originally have power folds for it to be acting that way? Guess maybe Tech. didnt do something right with the reflash?

7. skidsteerloader

FROZEN 001 - YES you can put the power extends on your truck, You will need the mirrors (obviously) I believe www.streetinspiredkustoms.com carries them pretty cheap, Dealer is WAAAAY too expensive. After installation you will need to see the dealer for a reflash with a tech2 computer in order for the extend feature to function properly. (mentioned in above posts) The reflash isnt expensive, some dealerships may do it for free, some may charge an hours labor? Dont believe any BS from a dealer who says it cant be done or it will fry the control module ( I had one tell me that )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

What exactly controls the extend feature??? I suppose it is some combination of the existing mirror buttons???

9. skidsteerloader

FROZEN 001 - Correct, you just put the little switch that selects the DS or PS mirror in the center position, then use the larger mirror switch to extend or retract. I like them way better than my old mirrors, which were the same as yours. Also I have a dually so the extend makes a BIG difference. I think also that the passenger side mirror is not concave, so you dont have to deal with that annoying "objects are closer than they appear" BS.

Was also just checking street inspired customs, They may have removed the link for the tow mirrors, Give them a call to see if they still have em. I'll look into other places to get them. Like I said Dealer is way too much money.

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I did a quick google search.... other places have then for around $400+ ea... do you have a pic of the mirrors on you truck?? how do they compare to the stock power extend mirrors???

11. skidsteerloader

I have the factory oem power extend mirrors, just didnt buy them from GM. Dont have any pics (camera broken) But they are heated, have the red LED turn signals in the glass, and have a rubber boot (sort of like an accordian) that covers the arm of the mirror. These are the factory originals. I remember seeing them on ebay, not too long ago, I think I searched under GM Power Tow Mirror or Mirrors (ebays search feature is technical)

12. skidsteerloader

FROZEN 001- go to www.powervisionmirrors.com these are the mirrors I have, order 6141T the "T" should mean that the mirror has the LED signal in the glass, as it is available without. Also they are heated, and will be plug and play. ( no extra wires or switches ) You can read the FAQ section in their site, it mentions converting from the power folds to the power extending ( dont worry about not having power folds originally ) they will work after the dealer reflash ( which is also mentioned ) I believe the code is DPF for the reflash. Good Luck.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005