1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? on F250 diesel power stroke

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by donny boy, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

Hi guys .... i just got this email from a buddy on mine and i was wondering if anybody else has heard about same thing that is on this page....
    Re: diesel vs ***GAS*** for plowing
    In Reply to: Re: diesel vs ***GAS*** for plowing posted by Surf on October 15, 02 at 19:13:05:
    : There are several things to take into consideration when comparing the two for plowing snow. First, let me say that from my experience as a tech, you would be better served with the gas for plowing snow. This is one of the few times I recommend a gas over a diesel. For several reasons...
    : *A diesel is going to eat up driveline components much quicker.
    : *If you are not careful, snow buildup in the front of the radiator/grille area can cause serious problems with a diesel. Ford does not even recommend the Powerstroke for snowplowing for this very reason.
    : *Contrary to what you may think, you don't need or want a lot of torque/power for plowing snow. It ends up working against you in the form of spinning your tires & going nowhere fast. Obviously a diesel with its tremendous torque is going to generate substantial wheelspin rather quickly.
    : *A diesel tends to run extremely cool-cold at idle/near idle conditions (as in plowing). Contrary to many peoples' beliefs, it is NOT good practice to let a diesel idle for extended periods. Cylinder washdown & the cold operating temperatures resulting in incomplete combustion are the prime enemies. This is why your big rigs have a manual throttle control to raise the idle speed when they are left running overnight.
    : *With a gas engine, you don't have the chamber temperature problems. Once it heats up, it stays at the proper operating temp. (@200 degrees).
    : *I've done the snow plowing for the dealership where I work for over 10 yrs. & we get a lot of snow & have a very sizeable lot to plow & we have never used anything but a gas engined truck to plow with. Never had any problems with these setups.
    : *Remember, a diesel doesn't allow you to plow more snow at all. Yes, it has much more grunt but if it overpowers the tires (which it will), the point is moot.
    : Please don't think I'm anti-diesel. As I stated, this is one of the few times I would actually recommend a gas powered truck. For long distance hauling, towing, just about anything else, a diesel is the way to go but not for snow plowing.
    : You'll also save the best end of 5 grand by going with the gas. Ultimately, the end choice will have to be yours but I recommend looking in to what I've told you. It all comes from personal experience.
    : Hope it helped you out some

please help me sort this out .... THAnx
  2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Ford doesnt recommend the powerstroke cause they feel with a plow it will be to much weight on the front end.
    I run a couple of diesel pickups and I will never go back to gas jobs for plowing.
  3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

As for the torque breaking traction sooner, I disagree. At peak, the diesel will blow the gas away in the torque department, but the delivery of torque is MUCH more manageable in the diesel- if you roll the throttle on easy, the power comes on easy. Once you get into boost, it's a different story, but I wouldn't guess there's much time spent in heavy boost while plowing. (gonna be my first season in an oil-burner) Tip-in on a gas is much more jumpy.

ROSELAWN Member

: *Contrary to what you may think, you don't need or want a lot of torque/power for plowing snow. ]

I agree about the torque causing tire spin, however, an 800 lb. plow hanging off the front and 2.5 tons of salt in the bed does keep spin to minimum. In fact I rarely use 4wd with all the weight and that torque sure does help driving from job to job. Really though I would never have a gasser because of the hard miles (4k-11k lb.) trailer dragging behind me all summer, at 19 mpg! One more thing I might point out is that '99 and newer PSD's automatically idle up in Park or (manual) when the E-brake is on for a few minutes, to keep cylinder temps up. Nothin' but love for ya, That is just my perception, I may be wrong.
  5. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

thanx for the answers.... i cannot wait till this winter starts..... mucho dienero......
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Ford offers the PwerStroke with the snowplow package, I've got it on both my trucks. Where does the idea that they don't recommend it come from?

The added weight of the diesel certainly helps with traction.

The torque curve of the diesel is much smoother as has been stated, you can sneak up on the traction break point much easier with a diesel over gas and walk yourself out of spots where you'd be stuck with the gas.

I'm betting your adviser never plowed with a diesel....
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

*If you are not careful, snow buildup in the front of the radiator/grille area can cause serious problems with a diesel. Ford does not even recommend the Powerstroke for snowplowing for this very reason.

It can cause just as much problem on a gas by restricting airflow and causing overheating and transmission cooler not doing its job.

*Contrary to what you may think, you don't need or want a lot of torque/power for plowing snow

Baloney. You want as much torque as you can without spinning the tires. This is what moves snow and keeps moving snow, especially if it gets wet and heavy.

Unless I can't get a diesel in a truck, I will not go back to a gas engine. I love the lower maintenance, better torque curve, towing, plowing.

I think Pelican's right, he's never plowed with a diesel.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't even know where to start with this one.Most of what he said is untrue.Diesel's rule for snow plowing.Just look at what all the big city plow trucks use.
  9. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

I agree with Pelican. Why would Ford offer the snow plow prep package on a truck it does not recommend plowing with.
  10. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

:dizzy: :rolleyes: :alien:

The author of that is insane!!

Real trucks don't have sparkplugs!!:drinkup:

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't think diesels, rule in plowing, but power and torque ARE important, the more torque, the easlier the truck pushes at lower RPM's, less wear an tear on the engine, and drivetrain, I'm not anti-diesel, just hard to justify the inflated prices for the diesel package, my choice BIG block gas. Diesels are only cost effective if you put mega miles on the truck. One of the best engines I've had is the Dodge V10.

PS I have plowed with a diesel a 94 GM, liked my 98 454 better, more torque, and SO much quieter.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Or bow-ties either.

Real Trucks = Blue Oval

Couldn't resist!

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The old "Rooster" just has to crow, eh?
  14. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I plow with both a 460 big block gasser with tons of mods putting out 479hp/612 ft-tq. (rear wheel dynoed) and a 7.3L PSD that it running a chip, exhaust, intake, turbo upgrade and soon propane (hopefully before the snow flys) that puts out 417hp/779ft-tq. (rear wheel dynoed with small chip haven't dynoed with my new flip chip--stock/75hp/140hp+). And there is not even a compassion between the two. I have only plowed with the PSD when it was bone stock (last year) and even then it was much easier to plow with. I think mostly because of the throttle control and low RPM torque of the diesel. I usually plowed with the RPM's between 1,300-1,900 RPM's with the PSD and 2,800-3,500 with the 460. Plus the fuel savings between the two, if I didn't have so much money into the gasser and if it wasn't so damn fun :D :D, I wouldn't even have it still. All of my trucks from now on, plowing or daily drivers, are going to be diesels.
  15. frostservices

frostservices Member

Get A Diesel and thewn see what you think. After plowing with a gasser you should be able to really enjoy the diesel I have never had a gas plow truck but my uncle has a 1 ton ford with a 460 and the throtle is so jumpy compared to a diesel and his truck takes 3 times as much fuel as mine. I perfere to run a standard trans diesel but I`m plowing roads not lots so I guess use what you like but give diesel a try.
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It looks like alot of that statement is personal opinion.
    Like They/He takes for granted an Idiot is operating the truck!
    Who would be into the Turbo plowing snow?
    It would spool up and you would be sideways or going way too fast.
    I know when the tire's are spinning and it's broke traction.
    That's why I listen to the machine as it works. Ballast does wonders.
    Your not going to let ice and snow clog the grill,who doesn't look at the truck and plow when fueling?
    They don't recommend a plow,probably because the guy will not go for the bigger rated axle or plow prep, wants to go too heavy of a plow.
    Runs cold at idle? The squads I work in have back heater's that get the area so hot you could bake cookies! ( at regular Idle on scene )
    The dealership's not going to order a Diesel plow truck period to do their lot.
    That's $5000 option that they have to pay for each month (Lot Plan),and eat at the end of the season if some pigeon does not come along sooner.
  17. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I have a 2000 F25 with Powerstroke. I personally have had nothing but great experience with it. Can push more snow than the plow could handle. And ford does offer plowing packages. I have one. SO i too dont know where this notion came from that they dont support it. A diesel engine does tend to run a little cooler. Meaning it wont freaking over heat. It is always in the acceptable range weather plowing or not. I love my diesel. i would go back to gas if you paid my fuel bill
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.