1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

On board video camera

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pohouse, Nov 27, 2011.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Looking to add an onboard video camara to the dump truck. Dash cam view. I work as a private contractor for the city and many times team plow with a city owned dump truck or motor grader. Just a way to document potential damage claims.

I did some searching, but with new products coming out all the time, its hard to know what product works best. The GoPro HD looks very workable. Important features for me are long recording periods (8hrs?), wide angle, windshield mount, maybe even 12V adapter. Any models, brands you guys could recommend? Thanks.:salute:
  2. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Also be interested in this feed back. Would you mass store all the recording or delete if the recording is not worth keeping?
  3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Transfer and mass store. Issues could come up in the Spring.
  4. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

That is a great idea. Has a residential client last year who had a Honda drive thru his garage door. I instantly took several pictures to show that his driveway was clear to bare cement with salt crystals visable. Wanted my arse covered just to safe. When I called the client, he informed me that his son got angry and purposely drove into the garage. Still those picture could have come in handy......
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ours are from a company called Busworks or Buswrecks. They're out of N.C. they work great and have time/date stamp, GPS, and voice recording. All you need is a SD card,we got a 16mb and I think it holds 18hrs of continuos plowing. When your done just download onto a computer and your done. It just plugs into the cig. lighter, one thing to remember, they don't like the cold at all so take it in when your done.
  6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

I was looking at the GoPro motorsports version but I want to take a look at the fire dash cam as well. It is also HD (at 720 mind you), has great audio capture and offer much more than the GoPro does (like a screen for example and a lower price).

Here is the link.

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I love my camera set-up, CabCam made by A & I Products..
  8. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I use a Oregon scientific, but it only lasts maybe an hour I swap out batteries for longer. I have an external battery charger. Doesnt offer a 12volt plug in, that would have been nice Camera itsef is great and waterproof.
  9. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

You don't need to record the whole event. I forgot the technical name for it, but some cameras offer storing about 5 minutes about previous footage. If you do get in an accident, you have 5 minutes to hit the record button. So when you hit the record button it actually starts recording from footage 5 minutes ago.
  10. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

What happens if your incapacitated and unable to hit the button? :eek: Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll check into them further.
  11. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure some of them have a shock sensor so if they get jolted real good they start recording automatically.
  12. Holland

Holland Senior Member

If you can find or afford one with a time date stamp on it do it. Makes it hold up in court alot better. We run a HC460-TR - Hybrid DVR from http://www.angeltrax.com/. This is probably a huge overkill for you but i thought i'd let you know whats available. Its a 500GB hard drive which for us on three channels gives us about three weeks worth of recording on loop. Lots of features but its not cheap. Nice units, great customer support and great warranty. Not sure what a smaller setup through them would cost. If i remember right they have a DVR that takes a couple SD cards, very small, lots of options, and still alows for multiple channels so you could runa camera front and rear. Might be worth checking it out! Thumbs Up
  13. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

I just picked up a contour Camera http://contour.com/products they have one with gps they have a lot of diffrent mounting options as well as head band mounts which seep pretty cool. The video quality looks great, and it doesnt look as fishbowl as the gopro
  14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

IM also looking at this camera, it is preferred over the Go Pro by a local professional camera shop.

Where did you get it? And im sure it was $200 as they all are it seems.

Does it come with a suction cup mount for the dash?
  15. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

I got mine from tigerdirect, i think it was a bit cheaper, i have a business account with them for computers so i saved a bit more as well. Im pretty sure it doesnt come with any mounts the suction cup mount is the most expensive at like 39.99 the others are pretty cheap
  16. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member