1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? On a per inch bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ss502gmc, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Im bidding a small lot and they want a per inch rate of 1"-6"_ 7"-12"_12"+
    My question is that im not sure on a good number as i know i would charge $75 per push but should i double it for 6" to 12" and triple it for 12"+??
    usually i bid per in 1-4 4-8 8-12 12+ so im not sure what to do here. Its an easy lot that needs to be opened up by 8am during the week and the lot is empty after 7pm so i dont have to make alot of pushes unless its a big storm during the day. I need help! Thanks
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Those measurement grades are to large, The ones you usually use are a lot better. I would just bid the 1-6 at the price you would charge for 6 inches, the 7-12 at the price you would charge if there was 12 inches and so on. They are trying to take advantage of you with the broad spectrum in price differences. How many square feet is the lot? That would help us, I dont know the pricing for your area, but I may be able to give some better advice.
  3. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

The lot is about 17,560 sq ft. I know that they are trying to use me for the best bang for their buck and ive always used the the smaller margins but its tough getting enough lots to stay busy with all the low ballers so i gotta do what i can to stay in the game. Im also thinking around $50 for salt per app. Given that bulk salt is about $95 per ton. The lot is pretty easy except for a garage that needs to be back dragged but all in all i should be in and out with plowing and salt in 45 - 50 min.

4. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

So im thinking of doing $90 for 1>6" $150 7>12" and $225 for up to 18" then $225+ $20 for every inch over 18". Am I in the right ball park you think? I really wanna cover myself if theres a big storm and i gotta make 4 pushes or more. Especially with those nor easters that will dump 30 + inches in 18 hours.
  5. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Anyone think this sounds ok?
  6. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

]thing is, what if youre stuck there for an hour to clear it during the storm and then need to come back when its over...not every storm is over in 6 hours

id put something in that states that cleanup will commense only when the storm is over, or something like that, otherwise you need some t&m prices for working during a storm

still a little low, id charge more like 130-150 for 1-6 on something like that

but your prices may be different (my salt costs 82 to buy it, and i charge 180 a ton to install....so id charge 800 pounds to the job)