1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Omg what next!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Brian Young, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

This is apparently my year to keep a local heavy equipment shop busy. After a few minor repairs our loader now decided it wants either a new starter or ring gear on the fly wheel or both. I am praying to God it's just a starter but here's what it's doing maybe someone can help. When I go to start the machine sometimes it just clicks, I go back and give it a few wacks with a rubber mallet then it try's to start. Now it grinds like trying to start a car when it's running, it will turn over for a split second then stop so I wait a second and keep doing this routine for about 10 minutes and each time the turn over lasts a bit longer. Today it did the same thing only now it sounded like grinding metal so I'm sure the starter is on it's way out (looks like a brand new starter). How often do ring gears go bad?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like the starter bendix is shot to me. Not properly engaging. Broken ring gear is normally more of clunckin noise when the starter gear hits the bad spot.

3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

starter here , pretty hard to chew a flywheel on a piece , got to be an abusive negligent sob operator .

4. Brian Young

I also just put a new slave solenoid on it last week and it fired right up, no clicking, grinding or anything and now that it's below freezing it started the initial clicking first then grinding. Hopefully I will be able to take it off tomorrow and see whats going on. If thats not bad enough, the repair shop is about 15 miles away and at a whoppin 12-15mph thats a long ride,lol

5. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I would almost have to agree with the bendix.

6. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

we know you have one booked for back up when momma nature pulls the triggerThumbs Up

7. Brian Young

Yeah it's 15 minutes away. Thumbs Up

8. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Is it possable that there is a lot of moisture between the starter and ring gear that froze, causing the bendix to not fully engage, causing the grinding issue???? :mechanic:

I've seen some plow trucks that get snow packed up between the bell housing and back of the oil pan, causing the inspection cover to bend into the fly wheel, making the motor sound like it had a spun berring knock.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  9. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Sounds to me like the solenoid is bad it's turning the starter but not engaging it into the flywheel. Just with the starter turning it will sound like its metal to metal.

10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

The clicking could be caused by several things , low voltage , bad solenoid , corroded connections ! A draw test on the starter , will tell you if the starter motor is any good . Sounds like the starter drive is self destructing , I'd get it off before it comes apart and does eat the flywheel . I'm surprised that an outfit with that much equipment , doesn't have someone with enough mechanical ability to change a starter . The only time a shop gets any of my money is when I absolutely can't do the job myself . Like a transmission rebuild !

11. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Did you check all the connections?...

12. Brian Young

??? I do most of the smaller (starter) repairs and maintenance myself, but I'm not going to be flat on my back in a parking lot trying to separate a engine and tranny from a loader. It comes out today to check it out, we've been out from Thursday, when this happen to this morning......need to catch a few zzzzz's.

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Brian,
    I hope it is "just" a starter, but if it is and its a 24 volt system I had to replace one to a tune of $1000 for a rebuilt starter!........ Isnt heavy equipment fun?....lol sorry man good luck!

14. Brian Young

Well its out and found the first 1/4" of the bendix gear ground down and matching pattern on the flywheel so I'm guessing the bendix wasn't being pushed out far enough. I couldn't see any missing teeth on the flywheel but you can only see about 4" of the flywheel. The dealer I work with said it was just a common starter from a cummins.....HOPEFULLY. And yes, heavy equipment repairs are not fun, this morning the skid steer fuel gelled up...good times, good times.

15. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Glad to hear you got lucky , sounds like a new drive will solve the problem . Best case scenareo instead of worse , like always seems to befall me ! Thumbs Up

16. Brian Young

This year is going to hell in a hand basket quickly,lol. My luck this season is awful, last week my 6.0L needed a new fuel pump at 87k miles :realmad: to the tune of 700 bucks then these two hopefully minor things. Thankfully an 11.00 fuel filter fixed the skid steer issue today and hopefully a quick rebuild to the starter. I told the box store we plow, that the equipment is at, I am having an electrician install an outlet in a nearby light pole and I don't care what your cooperate office says.

17. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I don't miss not being in the excavating business anymore . Stuff only breaks when you need it ! That's why I'm a one man operation , I don't want the maintainence headaches , and I'll never have another employee !