1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OMG, i have a question for you skid guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Sep 23, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

my experiance with using "push " stlye plows on skids is mimal, used them , but never took a hard look at them , currently just using regular straight blades

i have a few properties that im seeing the need for a few

as always , budget is important. im looking at an 8 foot aprox, since its got to push a long way. Im going bucket mount, because im not sure if it will be a pusher or tractor...as i STILL have way too many bid out yet ( freaken property managers need to make you there minds)

Rubber Vs steel.? the artic looks cool, but i dont think its in the budget.... at least this year

so with that said , i have seen a few rubber, for around 1800 or so, a few used ones 1400

have not seen any used steel/trip , and refuse to buy a steel without a trip system,

im going to be plowing a newer lot, flat, good shape 10 acres

with that said, how much more effective is the steel vs the rubber..... does the steel save that much salt? i have heard both ways... what do you guys with experiance think

i personally HATE plows(trucks) with rubber, and think they suck ,

what about you?

2. elite1msmith

from chicago

i guess no one plows usingn a protec, or like blade? lol

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Steel works well in all conditions, rubber works well in some conditions. There's a reason you don't see used steel trips. We got rid of our rubber edge cutting edges a few years back, it cost us alot of money but was worth every penny. If you have a truck there to help out, the rubber edge will be alright to try if you can find one cheap.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Just remember once you pack it down, or it is allready hardpack, rubber with down pressure will just make it worse. If your working a high traffic lot I would stay away from rubber. The only time IMO that rubber works great is on dry powder from those Alberta Clippers we get. They clean up real nice on powder and you need very little salt. For those Dec/march concrete snows plan on using the bucket to scrape up hardpack, the 810's wouldnt peel up the mess usually and quite often any pre-treating was wasted from the water content of the snow.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes there will be a truck on site the entire time

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I have a plow on my pick-up if that helps!:waving:

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Here you go elite....One of my bosses workers using his skid......its a push box with a rubber edge......it cleans nice. Although our snow is usally wet and slushy, dont get the hard pack powder snow of chi-town. Our temps dont get that low here!

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i250.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tls22/snowplow35.flv">

8. gkm

gkm Senior Member

nice vid tim ....how i hate slush

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

tim, i have way too many accounts to stop and take a video, so since you seem to do a nice job, you can fly here, and ill take you on a ride along and show you real snow plowing...lol

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

If you pay for my ticket...i will be out there first snow! There is always time for vids, i believe i can prob show u a tip or two! Get the notepad out!:waving: