1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $10.00 driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

no one wants to see your ad. LOL

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If that was here it still would workout to an ave. seasonal price.

4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm, no contract huh? So he can plow my driveway and I dont have to pay him :laughing:

A little picky looking for a straight driveway under certain sizes, ey? :p

5. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

There is another guy saying he will beat any price by 20% so people in that town could get there driveway done for $8.00 lol

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I don't know how they do it or why they have to **** everything up and make the prices drop.:angry:

I had that happen to me did the drive for $ 15.00 and she found someone for $ 7.50 per push.

7. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

My 10 year old son does driveways for 10.00 to 15.00 per drive, and has a heck of a racket going on even took one of my accounts last year lol. So a guy with a truck and 30 years and fully insured is doing the same work as a 10 year old with only a shovel and making the same or even less????? How sad .

8. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

I am SO BROKEN! :dizzy:

:laughing:

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What a rip off.

Niege would do it for half that.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't even know what guys are bidding on them this year. I resigned all my customers for the prices I had them for last year, picked up a few more small lots, and can't really complain. I've heard it's pretty brutal out there this year.

11. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

You bet it's brutal. The numbers make me want to just sleep right through this year.
    No, wait... I'd do a drive for about $10 with no shoveling. If it's somewhere along my way I'd have no problems running the pxpl blower up a drive for that amount of money. Now don't read into this as if I want to, I'm just saying at $10 a drive we'd have no problem making money even at that price.

12. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

To tell you the truth, if I was a home owner, I would rather give the money to a 10 year old with a shovel then a 50 or so year old. Because you know if they are charging the same price and its only 10 dollars then someone here is lowballing. So, to give your son the work rather then the lowballer would be a better choice, gives the lowballer less business. That is, unless your son only does 1/4 of the driveway :p

13. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

I have ten of those last year in one subdivision, 2 car drive and about 20 something feet long. doing just the driveway, 3 back drags and a push to the curve. done in less than 5 minutes. that ain't bad for ten dollars?

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

A guy in my class was telling me a guy came into a bank and asked for a loan for a plow. The loan officer asked him how much he would be charging, and how much he was planning on making. He told the loan officer $12/hr plowing. The loaner sent him packing lol

Wow, that's pretty crazy, drives for $10? I don't think I could do that. I just got a call today from a guy that was in charge of collecting bids, and said my plowing price was competitive, but my salting price was 2x as high! I was @ $0.21/lb and the person that got the job is at $0.10/lb.... Huh??? I asked if the had submitted an hourly bid too, he said yeah. So I can see where that is going....

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$.10 per lb! What a moron...$.06-.07 profit doesn't even pay for the gas used to spread it. Stupid people :dizzy:

16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of bids are coming in at $.08-.10 lb.
    Back about 8 years I'd swapped a property with one of the biggest snow companies in WI.
    What it gave me wasn't his bid, but the after billing invoice. Sure, hourly....
    Salt at $.08 lb. but wait. Don't forget the hourly truck charge for the salt to show up.
    Sidewalk crew... Three guys (hourly) cube truck, atv, and snowblower.
    A building you or most would bid and have a plowing/salting/sidewalk total at around $400-500 a time (1-3") His invoice was in the $750 to $1000 range.
    Taught me a lesson on the bait and switch.

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That doesn't sound like bait and switch but good business. That would be charging for materials with a little markup and then a labor charge for the work performed. It should always be that way in business but this industry has too many business owners that should really be employees that are messing up good business practices.

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

half of what $10 or $8

You know I would, but half of $9 is my limit. So $4.50 sounds about right. Thats hoping I will not service them more than 60 times.

The beautiful town of St-Hubert, right next to my town, there are some new contractors that have decided that $3.00 is the right price to charge. I should count my lucky stars I can get $4.50 :drinkup:

19. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

local guy here that im friends with is getting back in the biz after being out for a few years, was in it his whole life.
    Telling me he's doing all driveways for $12 like he used to, said theres no reason you CAN'T do them for that price.
    Yes, he is insured and all that good stuff.

I can't argue with him because we're friends, but wtf, why would you damage the area like that. People have no problem paying $25.

they're all over.

20. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

The only people that would do a drive for $10.00 is someone that dont have ins and does not care about his work. Im all for giving deals as I do a 22 unit condo that I charge $20.00 per drive because that have 22 units. I give them 100% and they are very happy with our work. For only $10.00 your work is not going to be good the drive will look like crap as you cant spend any time there because you are losing money. Whats going to happen if you back into a garage door??? What happens if there is a car in the drive you going to get out and clean around it?

Lets make this ez and I may offend a lot of people but I keep it real. If you are doing $10 driveways you are a lowballer and your work can not be worth anything and your 1st name is probably Joe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.