1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Olive Garden?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frndinalowplace, Jun 8, 2007.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

I had a general manager call me and wanting me to give him some quotes on lawncare, snow plowing and ice control. How would you go about and figuring out a price to plow it? I will most likely be using bag salt to salt it so I am just going to do 3x cost of bag. Any input will help. Thanks in advance.

2. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

Anyone??????????????

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well how big is the lot? how long do you think it will take you to plow?
    What do you feel most comfortable with hourly, per push,. per season pricing?

4. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

The lot is an average Olive Garden lot. The way they want the billing is lawncare, snowplowing, and salting per month. So take the total for lawncare and total for plowing n salting add it together and divide it by 12. That is how they want it priced. I think the lot will take me aprox. an hour. to plow. and salt. That is just a approximation. 2'' trigger. I figure i should be around 30 pushes per season. This is just a thought.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

So whats the problem? Do you want us to give you a price? If so, that would be impossible cause we haven't seen it, not all Olive Garden properties are the same, and snow/ice amounts very by region. Only you know what it would take to get the work done. Your profile says 4 years in business, you should be able to figure this out yourself. Not trying to be cruel but really.

6. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

No I wasnt asking for a price, I was asking how to price it. sry for the confusion. I finally put some prices together. I have come up with 3 price options. I fugure around 30 trips a season.For salting I did 3x cost. The thing that sucks is I dont know if I am going to get a tailgate spreader or the poly salt dawg.

Option A. $115 to plow, $105 to salt. = $ 220*30= $6,600 per season

Option B. $145 to plow, $105 to salt. = $250*30= $7,500 per season

Option C. $128 to plow, $105 to salt. = $128*30= $6,990 per season

What do you guys think of these prives I will most likeyly go with $7,000 a season if the pricing is right. any input will be appreciated..Thanks.

7. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

I have changed my pricing for salting. I am just going to go with .30 cents per pound. Which is around $60 bucks more. For salting I am going to tell him that I bill for salt used each month. Alot easier this way. I am also going to charge $140 to plow.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

What are you basing the plowing on? How did you get those numbers ($115, $145,$128)

9. Quality SR

Are you using bulk salt?

10. payton

payton Senior Member

so you plan on plowing 30 times a season. hope you live up north or somwhere it snows a lot. honestly the 115 doesnt seem bad for plowing the lot. but you didnt mention if that included sidewalks. also you didnt mention in case of blizzard like conditions if theres a snow bonus. not everyone uses them. but what if you get a foot dumped. its gonna take you longer then an hour to plow. theres a few things that are unexpected.

payton

11. Quality SR

Thats what i was getting at. How much salt did you figure?

12. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

Well in blizard like conditions that sucks for me. The price still remains the same. seasonal. But the salting I figured out roughly 560lbs. per application. So even if I have to hit it maybe 3 times a day they are still getting charged .30 cents a pound. So it doesnt really matter how much I use cause they are going to be billed for it at the end of the month. The only thing that is going to suck is keeping track of how many lbs. I have used. As far as using bulk or bagged I have to to decide. The choices for spreader is most likely the poly salt dawg. The other option is the meyer mate. I will be able to use bulk in the meyer mate but is going to be hard to keep track of how much salt I am actually using.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Dont tell them $.30 lb what ever you do. Tell them $ 30.00 Per 100lbs applied

14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Where's 7 hills??

I'd say you're close with your $7,000 for the season, at least in my area, 30 miles north of St. Paul, MN.

I do an 'average' bank lot for $3,000 / season, plow and salt (bagged, not bulk, only have 4 accounts that want to be salted, not worth hauling around a spreader) and I have an average of 18 events per year, total.

$500 / month for 6 months, an hour to plow / shovel sidewalks, 300 lbs of salt on the sidewalks, high foot traffic areas of the parking lot.

FWIW, I lose more bids than I get, so please don't jump on my pricing that it's too low. I'm trying my darndest to get pricing up in my area....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I had a hole big letter wrote out for this thread with really great advice and then realized it was 6 months old. Who can I bill for my time? lol

frndinalowplace: Did you get it?

16. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

The bid is for next season. The way they wanted to be charged was total for lawncare and snowplowing, and ice control. divided by 12[months] I am still waiting to hear back from him. wht was your advice?

17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I'll give you the short version now, since I forgot most of it.

Figure out the per plow cost x how many times it snows =$??? Think you said $140 x 30=4200

Salting cost per time. How much do you need each time for salt and labor. That should be a set price. Don't give them a per pound cost, or a per time cost. $170 per time x 30 = 5100. (Not sure I would charge more for salting than for plowing IMO)

Mowing cost per time x amount of times to mow.

Get a total and divide by 12. That is your check every month from them.(if you get the bid)

You knew all that though. What I will tell you is that there a period of time in the spring and a period of time in the fall that you will not have to go to this place, but you will still get paid. So in the winter when you are salting an extra time or plowing more because of a big storm, think about the three weeks before when it did nothing, but you still got a check. Think about the spring when you didn't have to mow or do a clean up and still got a check.

These guys want to know what to budget for outdoor maintenance. They don't care about the details. Give them the monthly cost, with a brief description of each item. If they ask for more, then you can give it to them.

Good Luck

18. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Exact advice I follow, or taught myself. I have a service agreement that covers the bases, but doesn't get TOO technical. I never break any pricing down until asked to do so. I have one line at the end of the agreement that says "Your price per month is $xxx for a total yearly price of $xxxx.