1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older western unimount plow won't raise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by john35, Feb 9, 2011.

1. john35

john35 Junior Member

I had just changed the pump and motor. I drained and cleaned my hydro lines with kerosene. I looked some info on computer and found out about the 3way cylinder. I'm limited on mechanical abilities, so I'm not real sure if this is a easy thing to take apart or not. It also said something about a lift adjustment. I found it and it will not turn,it is a screwdriver slot,with a bolt on the back. If I even have the right thing, I don't know what is supposed to do. Basically I came down to the conclusion that it has somehing to do with not enough atf to build enough pressure to lift the plow. By the way it does angle to the left and right,and of course down. It will also lift without the wieght of the plow. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! :realmad::realmad::realmad
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

First of all I would never use kero to clean out the angle pressure lines..

I have a feeling when you did the change, you NEVER took off the suction filter and clean it??

Also I have the feeling you RAISE the plow first before you purge the air out of the system??

When you do a flush on a system you do the following

A) make sure the plow blade is sitting on a 2x4 (so you can swing it manually by hand) and the lift ram is all the way down.
    B) drain the fluid through the drain hole
    C) unhook the pressure lines from the angle rams (make sure they are both inside a jug, push in just enough to catch the fluid coming out), and slowly turn it all the way the the to the right. wait a couple of seconds then turn it all the way to the left. Do this a couple of times. After your done center the plow manually.
    D) remove the motor and then remove the suction filter
    E) clean the pump housing out with brake cleaner and the same for the pump housing. Blow both out with an air gun (if you have one), or wipe the housing out with a clean rag.
    F) re-install the suction filter back onto the pump after your done cleaning it.
    G) put the drain plug back and tighten it. Hook up the angle rams pressure lines back to were they belong.
    H)Before you put the new motor gasket on, fill the pump housing with new fluid to it level
    I) install the new motor gasket and motor back onto the pump housing
    J) DO NOT RAISE THE PLOW, power the controller and swing the plow to the left, wait 60sec..Swing the plow to the right, wait 60sec. Center the plow. Check the fluid level to make sure the fluid is level, if not add some until the fluid is level..Once the fluid is level, again swing the plow left and the right, NOW RAISE THE PLOW, and lower the plow..

Let us know what happen
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011