1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older western plow wont angle ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by macawpat, Nov 16, 2008.

1. macawpat

macawpat Member

I recently purchased an older western plow with T handle cable operated. When it was first installed it worked great. The next day it would only go up and down but no longer angles. I have had the system flushed 2 times and water was found in the system. I got it to angle right but would not come back. After forcing it back I took it to a western repair center and was told that they found rust in the system and were trying to flush it out but did not know where it was coming from. I was told by the origianal person I purchased it from It had sat for a while but didnt know how long.The motor works fine and the hoses move when I try to turn it but it will not move the blade. I was told it may have bad valves but I am unable to locate any. Could this be the problem? And what else may need replacing. Any help would be sincerly appreciated. Thanks....

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow service

the cable's are prone to rusting up if the housing's are cracked and not sealed up at the4 end's of the cable's with silicone . the angle and raise cavity's on the pump will fill up with water and freeze ,like a iceberg !:salute:

3. macawpat

macawpat Member

Thanks for the the reply Wild Bill. The cable is a little worn but I can still turn the T handle and the motor and pump push fluid I can see the hoses moving but the blade wont move ??

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

well you might have a problem with the coupler's but try the western link at the top of the page they have a trouble shooting section that might help .:salute: