1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Western Plow question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jgramlich, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

I want to put an 8 foot blade on my 91 Bronco that currently has a 7.5 blade. The plow set up is one of the older conventional mounts (Only the blade comes off).

Can the motor and pump handle it? Will the blade still fit in the mount? Is this a bad idea?

As always, thanks.

2. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

If your pump handles the 7.5 with ease then it should handle an 8 foot with out problems. If your pump is slow to lift or struggles then maybe it is getting weak and you would regret it otherwise shouldn't be a problem. As far as the truck, keep in mind the Bronco is a half ton. You will probably have to enhance the front suspension and keep the extra weight in mind and add some ballast to the rear end. As far as the bracket, you will have to have a blade of the same era to fit. Doesn't mean that something couldn't be retro fitted to make it work.

3. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Thanks - And yeah, I've already gotten to work on the suspension. It dips a little bit with the 7.5 but I'm beefing up the front end.