1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Western Plow only angles one direction

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by M Runner, Nov 22, 2008.

1. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Older cable model, lifts and angles right okay. When I push lever to make it go left, the motor works, I can hear the strain, but the cylinder doesn't move. I adjusted the the cable at the hydro unit (just to see if I could any movement) with no change.

I suspect it's a bad cylinder. Is there any quick way to check it?
    Can I rebuild it if it's bad or should I just replace it?

The truck and plow unit are nearing the end of faithful service to me as they are getting tired. I want to fix this as economically as possible.

Tnanks, love the site, just joined up.

2. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

Clogged line maybe? Most all hydraulic cylinders can be repacked or rebuilt. I have no experience with plows but some with hydraulics. Not sure if that helps. Good luck!

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Start by replacing the quick couplers. Use the ball type.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hook the two angle rams togeather and see if you can move it manually.

If not throw a pressure gage in the system and see if it's getting pressure though the coupler.

5. macawpat

macawpat Member

I had the same problem with mine I changed out the four way valve and o-rings works perfectly now...

6. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

FIXED
    Took the cover off where the cable attaches to the valve. It looked like the cable was moving the valve enough both ways but it wasn't. I removed the cable and turned the valve with a pair of pliers and it then worked both ways. Adjusted the cable, drained and filled the fluid, lubed everything up real good and we're a go!

7. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

got to love those easy fixes!