1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Western plow on a skidsteer ???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by In2toys, Dec 16, 2008.

1. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

So I got a deal on an older 7.5 western today... Too good a deal to pass up. I have the plow & A-frame & cylinders. I want to mount this on my Skidsteer. I have a question about the hydraulics. I have the hoses hooked up & everything goes left & right like it's supposed to. The thing is, it goes real fast, even at idle... I'm afraid of punching the seals out of the cylinder when I'm cruising along in the middle of the night & hold the lever a little too long. Do I need to put some kind of a regulator on this? I don't have the plow mounted yet, I wanted to make sure I could get the hydro's on line first. Thanks

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

The pressure from the skid will blow the original western hoses out. You will need to have some high pressure hoses built at a hydraulic shop, with regulators built into them. We spent about $400 on ours and it solved the problem.

3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I had a set of hoses with flat face couplers that I used. I need to stop at my Hydraulic shop I use to get the regulators for them asap. Thanks for the info.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think the proper fix is to get soe type of vavle body? if you do a search this question has been asked before. Im really not the best person to talk to, but i belive the hoses would slow down the fluid, but a regulator , or valve box of some kind, allows for a pressure releif , say if you hit a curb , so the blade turns the opposite way and gives way so you dont bend up the frame on it

ask around , or do a search ,

5. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

We have a older western on our bobcat and don't have any problems with the hydraulics. I have never heard of anyone blowing seals out of the rams unless they are old and deteriorating, but they would blow even with the western pump. The western pump puts out around 1200 psi and the skid steer should be about the same. As for the speed what you can do is to put in a in-line restricting valve which is about $35 from a hydraulic store, you only need a 3/8 valve. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200339417_200339417 This is what you should need for the speed control. Hope this helps.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The restrictors i got were about $3

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

$400 for hoses?

were they made out of gold?

8. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

The hoses I have I got from Northern for less than $20 ea. They seam to work fine. Flat faced couplers & I plan to stop at The Parker Store for the restrictors. I go through them for my hydraulic stuff now. My first hydraulic project was a flatbed trailer I turned into a dump trailer. Not knowing any better I went to a different hydraulic place & got bent over hard on the hoses I had them make up for me. I think it was $180 for 2 hoses about 10 feet long with fittings but no couplers... I started plotting on the wings for this blade last night... I have 2 chunks of 3/8 plate exactly the right size for a set of wings. Overkill I know but I have it in hand... Just get some rubber wear edges from the western dealer & poof cheap wings. Actually I'll put my worn rubber edges from my truck plow on this blade & put the new ones on the truck.. Oh yea, thanks for the info guys, it's appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  9. kgt37

kgt37 Junior Member

Go to a hydraulic place and buy flow restrictors, we plow an S130 with an 8ft fisher, we got lines made up to fit the fisher pistons to our hydraulic couplings and used flow restrictors. Our machine makes 16gpm and a fisher plow only uses 4, and the flow restrictors did the job. They are just a small fitting that goes behind the male coupling with a small hole in it to bring down the flowrate going into the plow, they work great