1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older western plow modications

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bobcatgrant, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bobcatgrant

bobcatgrant Junior Member
    from central

Hello all,
    first off this is a neat site that I never thought i would find. keep up the good work guys. Ok a buddy of mine had an old western plow (1980) sitting out behind his garage that he no longer had any use for. It was just the plow and nothing else, no angle cylinders or mount. So what I did was since I have a bobcat with a quick-tach system for my attachments we made a mounting bracket out of some 3/8 steel and it works like a charm. My question is, since there are no hydraulics on it presently, and my bobcat has front aux. hydraulics, what cylinders and what kind of valve do I need to get? I think if I get replacement cylinders they are single acting? How about one double acting cylinder? What type of valve do I need- one spool ,2 way detent??? I dont really understand that type of lingo? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Since the Bobcat has Aux Hyd on the front you should be able to just plug hoses into the fittings and go.
    As for a cylinder, you could go either way with western replacement cylinders on each side or a dual acting cylinder on just one side.

How about some pics.

3. bobcatgrant

from central

I will post some pics as soon as it done with the hydraulic end on things. As for the aux, its an older bobcat- i.e. its either on or off with a foot pedal- no control. That is why i need to put a control valve, i just dont understand what type. Thanks

4. Crash935

On/off huh, that kind of makes more work, might have to run a line to return to tank. Going to need to find out if its power in on one line and back to tank on the other, power on both lines, or will the one line be pressure with the other to tank and then flip when you go the other way. Depending on what it does you might not need any valving, just some flow restrictors to slow it down a bit.

5. bobcatgrant

from central

The aux run a backhoe, log splitter, which i believe one line is power and the other is a return. hope this helps

6. Crash935

That helps, since it will have constant pressure you will need to find a valve block that has a bypass in it. If you dont bypass, the machine will be deadheading pressure at the valve block and will burn out the hyd pump.

Might want to look through Norhtern Tools site, otherwise someone will come along this evening and will know exactly where the valve that youneed is.

7. bobcatgrant

from central

Thanks, i looked at northern tool and i still dont know what i really need- so still keep the info coming

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I have a hydraulic block from a full hydraulic plow that was on my old Jeep. It was run off a belt driven pump but something like that would probably be ideal for you, even though you don't need the up and down function.

Like Crash said, look in Northern and they'll probably have something that would be ideal, I assume you need a valve that can open pressure to one side and release it from the other, and then close both when there is no input on the control.

-Jer

9. bobcatgrant

from central

so would I need like a log splitter detent valve? I'm guessing yes but i wouldn't want detent?:help:

10. bobcatgrant

from central

also just a thought- my bobcat loader runs atf for fluid, is this okay for new cylinders?

11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Ooohh! good idea!
    Doesn't that detent work on a spring loaded ball or something, couldn't you just remove that from the mechanism or is in internal?

12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

not sure the technical term. our bobcat has 2 way switches on the steering sticks. One way sends the fluid one way, the other sends it the other way.

If yours is just one way, you need a valve to reverse flow.

13. bobcatgrant

from central

my loader is too old for that-just forward and reverse on the sticks

14. bobcatgrant

from central

c'mon guys, still need some help here- somebody must know what kind of valve id need.:cry:

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

yes, the hydraulic detent valve will work assuming you can mount it inside the cab easily and retain your heat.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic2.htm

There is a diagram on there showing how log splitters work, click the button and it animates the valve.