1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Western help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigtexan449, Jun 3, 2009.

1. bigtexan449

bigtexan449 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I'm looking at a 1990 Chevy k2500 w/Western Plow with 96,000 miles on it. I'm new to the plow scene. I was at the dealer looking the truck over and was checking the plow to make sure it worked...left, right, and down work well, but going up the engine sounds like its really working to get it to come up...its slow moving up to. My question, Is this the alternator and battery? or would this be something else? thanks in advanced for the help.

AJ

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming this is an electric plow, and when you say engine, you mean the plow pump motor. It takes more effort to lift the plow versus swinging it side to side. More effort to lift means more strain on the pump. It will take longer and the pump is going to make more noise. The alternator doesn't have a huge impact on the pump motor speed, because the pump draws much more than the alternator can put out. Basically, the battery runs the pump, and the alternator recharges the battery. If the battery is old, that can have an effect. And if the truck has been sitting, the battery may be down a bit. It is also possible the pump motor is dying. Do you have a friend that plows that could look at the truck with you? He should be able to tell you if it seems like the right sound and speed. I would guess that it's probably OK, but you should have someone listen to it.

3. bigtexan449

bigtexan449 Junior Member
    from Indiana

thanks, and yea a buddy of mine who has been in the biz for about 15 years is going to come by and take a look. thanks again

4. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Plow speed

Your plow should take a couple of seconds to come up (as in one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two). I've seen people with the speed adjusted up so high that the truck rocked when it hit the top. What ... that 2 seconds is going to put you behind???

Same way on the drop ... it shouldn't "bang" at the bottom.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It could be truck side equipment or it could be plow side, i.e. bad ground, weak motor, weak pump or a plugged filter. Or it could be its just taking its normal time.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The major work the pump does is to lift it. Most times once the truck is working and the system has warmed up it does speed up. Most times when your plowing you don't lift the plow very high anyway. If the truck's been sitting a while the battery will not be fully charged anyway.