1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Older Western angle cyllinder not working, need help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by M Runner, Nov 22, 2008.

1. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Cable type Western. Lifts and angles right okay. Won't go left. The motor works and I hear the unit straining but won't angle left on command. I suspect a faulty cylinder. Any ideas to help me diagnose for sure?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Loosen 1 of the hydraulic lines and see if you can manually move the ram. It may just be stuck from sitting. Spray the rams with Fluid Film too.

3. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Thx. I'll pull it in the shop and try that first thing tomorrow.

4. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

****UPDATE********

Okay, I switched hoses at the cylinders today, and the plow would angle to the left now, not the right. Which eliminates the cylinders being bad.

I checked the adjustment on the cable with the side plate removed and it looks to be working okay.

Which leads me then to the conclusion it is in the valving. Do I buy a rebuild kit for this unit or do you buy a valve assembly?? anybody know?

Once again it is an older Western cable type, must be heavy duty because the angle cylinders are 2" x 16", plow is 7'6" across.

Thanks.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Dont get crazy with trying to rebuild the whole thing just yet!!

Try changing the couplers, use the ball type and change both sets and see what happens.

6. muskoka sandman

muskoka sandman Junior Member

Change the coupler's I had it happen to me a few year's ago.
    What happens is one of the springs holding the balls in place go weak turning the coupler into a one-way check valve

7. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I pushed the ball inside each connector with a small screwdriver, and fluid easily came out. Could the connector still be bad???

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

YUP, change both sets and let us know.

9. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Ok, I'm going to try it. Thanks for your help!

10. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

FIXED****FIXED****FIXED****FIXED****FIXED

Finally fixed it, just in time as they are calling for snow tomorrow.

Took off the plate (three screws) where the cable attaches to the valve and had the wife operate the lever in the truck. It moved both ways on command. Disconnected the cable and moved the valve lever with a pair of pliers and it worked. The cable was just not moving the lever quite enough. Adjusted the cable, drained and filled the unit with fresh oil, sprayed down the cylinders.....works great.

Now that I understand some of the basics with the help I've read on here hopefully I'll know where to start at next time.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure to put grease back in the box the cables are in. Water will get in it and freeze.
    I use to fill the box completely with grease to prevent freeze-ups.

12. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Thanks, wasn't sure how much to put in there!