1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older westen plow probs

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by odee, Dec 28, 2004.

1. odee

odee Junior Member

this plow has 2 cables and 1 wire on the setup,i went and bought a solinoid for it,the one that came off it had 2 post for bat and motor,and then there was i small one that i was to hook up to the single wire from the control box. they sold me a differant one and it says i had to jump 1 wire to the bat and the other one to 1 0f the 2 small post and the other one goes to the wire in the cab.but i dont get nothing when i do that,the only time it works is when i jump the wire by hand to the positive side of the bat...am i useing the wromg solinoid ? and now for the other problem,when i do jump it to the battery the plow will only raise just alittle but dont have enough power to take it off the ground,,, i do have the truck running and still not enough power to do that,any help would be great,, the good side of it all is we havent had much snow so far,, but i am tired of useing a hilift jack every time i go foward,i have to get out and raise it to go backward,,lol

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

The solenoid you got for your plow is the newer design and will work your older plow just fine.
    Sounds like you may have the jumper wire on the wrong post as it needs to go to the one from the battery, it doesn't make any differance which small terminal it's hooked to.
    The wire coming from your controller is the ground to engage the solenoid, make sure your getting a ground from it.
    As far as your other trouble with lifting it could be anything from a bad motor, low fluid to a clogged filter in the power unit to an out of adjustment on the cables.
    :rolleyes: John...............

3. odee

odee Junior Member

thanks much

thank you for the fast supply,,will check it out

4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Like garagekeeper said the wire from the controller is a ground. Make sure the solenoid you bought can be triggered by a ground. The other small post may need to be hot by running a jumper from the larger post that comes from the battery. If you are having to jump the post that you have hooked to the controller to positive you definitely have it wired wrong as the controller triggers the solenoid by grounding it.

5. 78W200

78W200 Member

I had the same prob. with the solenoid, right or wrong what I ended up doing was running a ground wire from the base of the solenoid the the ground on the bat, this has worked fine for the last two years. I am currently having the same prob with the raise. Mine raises fine with no weight on ,but will only raise the plow if you use a snow pile to force it up or you lift up while someone operates the joystick.Once up pump will hold fine.Tried manually operating lift valve lever,no good. Tried thawing pump and changing fluid.no good took pump apart cleaned everything no help (new o-rings on reassembly), new lift valve didn't work. just got new seal and wiper kit for the lift ram will try to replace tomorrow. If this does not work I will have the unit pressure tested.Plow will angle fine,so the pump is at least working.This is an old cable operated unit.If you get yours fixed let me know what the prob.was my next step if the new packing does not work is to find a good solid wall and beat my head against it.

6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sounds to me like the pump is working fine.
    If you can angle it then the pump should be ok.
    You might have a problem with dirt in the valve or you need a cable adjustment.
    Did you try the western website for the troubleshooting info?
    The short version of the mechanics manual gives troubleshooting info for this problem.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13497_020088.pdf

7. 78W200

78W200 Member

Replaced the lift ram packing yesterday still no help. I bought a test gage to check the pump, the pump is only showing 500 psi. I think I found my prob. Looks like I'll be ordering a new pump.

8. odee

odee Junior Member

thanks for the link

well now i drained all the fluid out and put new stuff in and now it only turns to the right,wont go up even with no chain hooked up,,,but im going to check out the link you posted,,,thanks much,,,,odee