1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older v plow problems?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dkshooter, Jan 12, 2011.

1. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

Hi guys I am new at this so be kind. I mounted a v plow, relay controled to my 1995 gm 3500hd. all the lights work as they should but the plow its self will only retract the right side of the blade. can you guys give me some guidance as to where to start?

Thanks !!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right wing retract is the default function when the motor runs but no valves are shifted so mostly likely so all your valves are dead. When you lose them all it's usually caused by the small red 12V wire that's connected to all the valve coils. So start with checking the small red at the valve coils. It should show battery voltage with the ignition on. If it doesn't then it's either broken in the harness or has a broken pin in the grill connector plug (it's in the battery harness plug). Only other cause is a defective controller but it's more than likely the red wire.

3. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

Thanks for the reply I did find the small red wire to the plow was chafed thru and spliced it.
    BUT now the controller will not turn on!! It lights up but wont turn on checked the fuse under the dash its OK so what am I missing:confused:
    Thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it illuminates but won't power up then the controller is most likely faulty. Pretty common on those units. Borrow a control and retest if you can.

5. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

Ok I found 1 of the small fuses in the controler was blown so (I know like a fool ) I bypassed the fuse with a hard wire. the result is that the on button on the controller is on all the time and the pump motor runs nonstop.
    Could the new relay be faulty? How can I test it.
    thanks again

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it stop if you disconnect the controller? If so then the controller is still causing problems.

7. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

I dont know that, I just turned off the ignition. I will try to disconnect the controller in the morning.
    thanks again!

8. dkshooter

dkshooter Junior Member

could I have fried the controler?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very possibly yes, doesn't take much to kill one. Try the test and let us know but I'll say the controller is the issue.