1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

older tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MIDTOWNPC, Aug 27, 2010.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have kind of been keeping my eyes open for a tractor and watching prices as eventually it is something I would like to add to my fleet.

An older kubota has crossed my path.
    It belongs to a customer. Selling his property and no need for the tractor.
    Id buy the house with 2 car garage and 3 car shop with hoist and 10 acres if the timing was better.

1990 Kubota 7950 4x4 With Loader, 81hp, approx 8000lbs I beleive, 5000 hours, Cab Heat and AC. asking $18 000, already told me $17 000 and I bet I could get it for $15 000.
    Infact I could probably even be allowed to make payments on it and pay it off over the winter so it wouldn't hurt my cash flow at this moment. I drove in with a truck I just picked up for $2000 and he is interested in it and said thats gotta be worth $4500 why dont you trade me that. Its almost too good in a way but I don't think Im ready.
    Id still have to buy a pusher, or I do have a 9ft fisher trip edge I could fab up as a pusher.

He says it always starts in the cold.

I don't know very much about them, I have a Kubota dealer 45 mins away. I also am wondering about all the clutching involved in using this tractor for 6 to 8 hours or more of plowing. Back and forth, on the road to jobs ect. Its standard. Max speed I think is 28km/h Not shuttle shift.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

farmers clutch those things all the time, clutch to move bales back and forth, etc. Don't worry about that, farm tractors go through much more strenous work on the farm IMO
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

and at that price, you really can't go wrong, keep it til spring and sell it then, you well probably make $5000 from what you paid, 4x4 tractor for $15000 is a great deal IMO (providing it isn't all bagged out)

Stuff doesn't seem to sell around here. And everyone knows everyone so they also know what you paid for it. So that approach won't work too well unless an out of town buyer came into place.

Im more thinking about how much my leg is going to bug me from clutch shift clutch shift
    ect ect. and will it really make me that much faster. It weights less then my skid also.

just by typing all that out.. I think I have convinced myself 100% against it. lol
    hope I didnt waste anyones time.
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

5000 hours is A LONG LONG TIME.... I think JD Dave even mentioned, he's never owned a tractor with more then 2,000 hours...

sometimes you just have to hear yourself say something and you know the answer.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you'd figure it out on your own. I'm assuming it has a dry clutch and they aren't good for prolonged loader work. Also the early Kubota's are not known for the strong front ends, the new ones are a little better. For a field tractor 5000 hours is good not a loader tractor. JMO